Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Yesterday I wrote a story about French TV Network TV5Monde suffering a cyber attack, forcing it to stop broadcasting across 11 channels and having obscene messages posted on some of their social media channels.

More of this story has broken today after it was discovered that passwords for the TV network’s social media accounts were made available when an interview was conducted in the network’s offices.

This has encouraged me to put together a short list of similar embarrassing password leaks.

TV5Monde
I’d be a fool not to start with this one. In an interview with French news program 13 Heures, a TV5Monde reporter inadvertently revealed passwords for the station’s social media presence. This happened when he was filmed in front of a desk that was plastered with sticky notes and index cards full of usernames and passwords.

Thankfully, only one password is readable, and that’s the YouTube account. The password was “lemotdepassedeyoutube,” which translates in English to “the password of YouTube.”

I wonder what their Twitter password was.

Brazil 2014 World Cup

This is Luiz Cravo Dorea, the head of international cooperation at Brazil’s Federal Police, inside the multi-million dollar security centre used to monitor cameras at last summer’s Fifa World Cup. Proud moment for Luiz?

Nope.

That unmissable red ring is circling the password for the security centre’s Wi-Fi. The password was “b5a2111014” – leet speak for Brazil 2014. The next password will be “ru551a2015”. You heard it here first.

Super Bowl XLVIII
One of the biggest sporting events of the year in the USA last year caught my attention. Not because of the 15 hours of men running at each other, but the fact that the credentials for the stadium’s wireless network were displayed on live TV.

It’s thought that the leaked Wi-Fi network is reserved for press and other services at the stadium. The leaked credentials soon made their way around the web and thousands of people at the game likely had them. It’s unclear if the credentials were changed prior to kick-off or if they remained the same.

UK weather emergency
England was hit hard with floods and heavy winds in February 2014, keeping emergency services running around the clock.

This man, Simon Parker, is an emergency planner who was interviewed on Sky Ne… oh, wait, yep, that’s a password.

Lessons learned:

1. If you’re going to allow TV cameras into your office, don’t have your password information on display for all to read.
  2. Even if you’re not going to allow TV cameras into your office, don’t have your password information on display for all to read.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
There sure are some clever people out there that is for sure. Thanks this gave me a good laugh. :):D

Reactions: Azure

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Well at least some of them were alphanumeric with special characters that were randomized :p:D

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Epic fail, well for such ordinary users/viewers it couldn't easily notice since the flow of program focuses more on the interviewee however next time make exposed on the logo of Wifi Zone instead. ;)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.