Free Lightweight Anti Virus

Carbonite

Thread author
Jul 31, 2015
I recently installed Windows 10 onto my netbook, it has very poor specs and I'm wondering what anti virus I should use, it needs to be free and lightweight so I can still use my netbook for browsing with it open without it using up all of the system resources.

Thanks

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
If your system resources are indeed too low, consider using Toolwize TimeFreeze... Everything would be gone, in reboot, including any infection.
Considering an antivirus solution, I'd go with Avast... for me, definitely the lightest of all.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Recently I tried Avast and in my opinion it is not light anymore.

@Carbonite I suggest to
  • Keep your Windows Defender up-to-date
  • Additionally check your computer with some on-demand scanner (e.g. HitmanPro, MalwareBytes)
  • For safer browsing you can use Sandboxie (it is free and light)
  • Install extension like Adblock Plus (it can detect malicious websites)
Regards,
Kardo

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I suggest that you try Avira! I used to have Avast and it doesn't seem to be that light anymore, unfortunately. Avira is lighter than both Avast and Windows Defender for me. I was quite shocked at how light it was on my system. I barely even know it's here. I noticed with Windows Defender that it was slow to scan files when I opened up Windows Explorer. With Avast I used to get random slowdowns and it slowed down my web browsing. With Avira since I am using the pro it has the web guard and that isn't slowing down my browsing speeds at all.

You could go with Sandboxie of course as Kardo pointed out, already. But it seems to be not yet working properly with Windows 10. So I would avoid that for now until it becomes compatible.

D

Deleted member 2913

Recently I tried Avast and in my opinion it is not light anymore.

@Carbonite I suggest to
  • Keep your Windows Defender up-to-date
  • Additionally check your computer with some on-demand scanner (e.g. HitmanPro, MalwareBytes)
  • For safer browsing you can use Sandboxie (it is free and light)
  • Install extension like Adblock Plus (it can detect malicious websites)
Regards,
Kardo
I downloaded AdblockPlus for Internet Explorer from official site. Properties - Digital Signatures mention expired. Should I install it?

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
I downloaded AdblockPlus for Internet Explorer from official site. Properties - Digital Signatures mention expired. Should I install it?

@yesnoo Adblock Plus is known (and trusted) software. Probably they forgot to update digital signature. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Carbonite

Thread author
Jul 31, 2015
I am going to try avira. I don't know why but windows defender seems to use quite alot of RAM at times, I will also try sandboxie when it's compatible with windows 10.

rodocop

Level 1
Verified
Jun 12, 2015
The lightest from capable AVs are BitDefender AV Free and Forticlient. You can for sure rely on Windows Defender but I can't call it the good defense.

As for me I use no AV at all building my defense on:
1) using alternative software - browser not from Big Four (K-Meleon), altenative e-mail client (Sylpheed or any other one), PDF-reader (Foxit or Sumatra), messenger (Trillian) etc. This dramatically reduces actual attack surface.
2)filtering web-content - ads, malware sources etc. (AdBlock Plus, K9Web Protection, Forticlient inbuilt web-filter, OpenDNS etc.)
3)using some monitoring tools for registry, autostart and so on.

You can also set built-in Software Restricion Policies or Applocker if present in your Windows edition - to get white list of trusted applications or create rules for apps run (it's a very good idea to set some foldser to saving web content and restrict any app run from there as well as from system TEMP folders) or simply install EMET or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to harden your setup from exploits.

Also there is very useful application - Secure Folders, which allows to set effective but more user-friendly restrictions for app run.

So the bottom line is - when you are limited in resources you should combine different 'lightweight' solutions creating a multilayer security config.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Qihoo 360 TS Essentials is light and effective, even with Avira and Bitdefender engines. It was designed for low-spec/old PCs and they designed it well. I'm really impressed with it and I was actually looking for a reason to discount it.

AdGuard is lighter/faster than AdBlock/Plus with same-or-better service (and a better UI I think). uBlock/Origin is also light but a little rambunctious.

BD Free is old and ineffective.

Avast! has turned into a bloated cow and hangs/freezes when under load.

I've not tried Panda as it wasn't available for Win10 at the time so I can't comment.

I can't recommend Comodo for a plethora of reasons and I wouldn't call it light anyway.

Avira still does the popup/nag thing, doesn't it? Show-stopper for me.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Qihoo 360 TS Essentials is light and effective, even with Avira and Bitdefender engines. It was designed for low-spec/old PCs and they designed it well. I'm really impressed with it and I was actually looking for a reason to discount it.

AdGuard is lighter/faster than AdBlock/Plus with same-or-better service (and a better UI I think). uBlock/Origin is also light but a little rambunctious.

BD Free is old and ineffective.

Avast! has turned into a bloated cow and hangs/freezes when under load.

I've not tried Panda as it wasn't available for Win10 at the time so I can't comment.

I can't recommend Comodo for a plethora of reasons and I wouldn't call it light anyway.

Avira still does the popup/nag thing, doesn't it? Show-stopper for me.

"BD Free is old and ineffective.": Just not true. Still effetive and get updates. its not old or ineffective! Would nice if u tell facts that are true.

"Avast! has turned into a bloated cow and hangs/freezes when under load." Costum install and u have no problems with bloat. with only realtime and webshield installed it is one of the lightes avs.

"I can't recommend Comodo for a plethora of reasons and I wouldn't call it light anyway." comodo is realy light too if u compare it to kaspersky or other alternatives.

Reactions: Butterfly

TheTRUTH

Level 1
Verified
Feb 10, 2013
Webroot si the lightest one, after using few days avast become very heavy. Panda free is also good choice

D

Deleted member 2913

I wouldn't say lightest but Comodo Internet Security is one security software among few others that has always run light here on 2 Win 7 64 Bits systems with 4GB RAM. No system, browsing slowdown, etc...

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
windows defender(always updated)+EMET+MBAM(ondemand)+ADGUARD/uBlock+Windows Firewall Control+common sense
NEVER RELY ON A SINGLE SECURITY!! Always believe in MULTI-Layered Security even if something fails other will be rescuing

HOPE u got the Answer

regards

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
ESET is light on the system and resources and does not occupy much space..............

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.