Free Security Package

Ksipos

Thread author
Oct 3, 2015
Hello guys.

The last 5 years (more or less) I decided to turn into free programs to protect my computer. I searched and tried a lot and came to the conclusion that the "perfect" package was Avast Free Antivirus combined with Emsisoft's Online Armor (with some Spybot Search&Destroy searches at some times). Now that OA is kind of "dead", I am once again in the search for a good free package.
I can't say that I loved the HIPS from the OA (it was kind of borring to keep spamming "Allow" on a simple installation and sometimes I had to wait some minutes for the alert to come up) but I was useful sometimes.
So what do you guys think a good security package should contain for a windows user with more knowledge (and "hobbies") than a simple user(aka not just careless browsing)? Firewall,antivirus,sandbox or w/e else.

Thank you for your time and sorry if I posted in wrong topic.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Definitely would stick with avast, good choice of AV. For a firewall I think you would be quite happy with windows firewall, it's very user friendly and usually won't cause any trouble if you're connecting to a VPN or anything else, their interface has also been very nice.

If you want a whitelisting application, voodoo shield is a good application to have, and it also has a free version.

In the event you need something more robust for your firewall, comodo firewall is really good, but you'll be spamming those allow buttons pretty often as well.

A more non intrusive firewall could be tinywall, I have not personally used it but I have seen it and it looks very basic and non intrusive, which is good if you want it to just be working in the background.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I can't say that I loved the HIPS from the OA (it was kind of borring to keep spamming "Allow" on a simple installation
I DO agree with this!

So what do you guys think a good security package should contain for a windows user with more knowledge (and "hobbies") than a simple user(aka not just careless browsing)? Firewall,antivirus,sandbox or w/e else.
In my opinion, I think Comodo (AV + decent firewall + HIPS + Auto-Sandbox) should be a good option when you look for a free security package.:D
You can use it along with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (Free) because I heard that Comodo does not directly prevent exploits. (Please correct me if I misunderstand it.)

If you are looking for some light-weighted solution, you can also take a look at this thread, which (in my opinion) gives a good example on how to build a security combo with free programs.:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Ksipos. This thread, as well as the sage suggestions already shared by our fellow members & staff, I look upon as a treasury of valuable information plus the experience I wish I could have read about years ago!:):)
jamescv7's mention of Crystal Security, although it is one software I have not yet tried, is in fact spoken of very highly on posts I've read; a free compatible security software together with james' knowledge both mean a great deal.:) SecureAplus is one of our current featured Free Giveaways here MalwareTips Giveaway - F-Secure Internet Security 2016
The Free Giveaway for Windows Firewall Control I shall recommend as it's been recommended to me by the Great hjlbx. You've a chance to win a free key, and to at least give it a try here MalwareTips Giveaway - BiniSoft Windows Firewall Contol Giveaway
Both giveaways provide links to test their software free for a limited time!

Terry Ganzi, Online_Sword, and Hanmin147, endorsed 2 security software respectively which we have used for (2) of our (3) Windows systems. Comodo Internet Security Free PC Security Products from Comodo | Business Security Software had breathed new life into our oldest system (one that no longer receives security update patches) it's Firewall protection and secure sandbox are good protection for a system that's full of holes, and because of this I also use the free virtualization protection of TimeFreeze Toolwiz Time Freeze Download
Avast!, Avast Free Antivirus | Download Free Virus Protection has been a remarkable Antivirus which provides a depth of security fortifications for your system. For over a year it protected our Windows 8.1 with hardened mode (set at moderate) which did not allow changes to be made to the system without password approval. It's excellent web protection alerted of questionable sites before I was allowed to go there, and this was the AV alone & without it's reputation extension we'd opted out of installing to Firefox & our other browsers.:):) We would be using it now if we had one more computer. Currently, we've installed Norton Internet Security. It is not free, but can be trialed for an entire month free Download Norton Security with Backup Free Trial Software | Norton

Another free program we make use of on each of the browsers on every one of our systems is Sandboxie. Get more information & download the latest version here Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

@Ksipos

If you want security soft "toy" then you need look no further than Comodo Internet Security.

You can go beserk and create as simple or complex a configuration as you so choose... and you will find you will need nothing beyond CIS since it can be configured to essentially replicate = AppGuard + NoVirusThanks + Sandboxie + Windows Defender + Windows Firewall Control with custom firewall rules. Beyond that you can go even further by creating custom file system rules, protected COM objects, firewall rules, sandbox multi-rules, etc...

Your only limitations are how much time you are willing to devote to it and whether or not what you create will work on your system.

Ksipos

Thread author
Oct 3, 2015
Thank you all for your answers :)

@Hanmin147: The "Avast + Windows Firewall/Comodo Firewall (+ VoodooShield)" is the most "simple" way to replace OA and the one that I was thinking about.

@Online_Sword: Your proposal is Comodo (I guess the Internet Security?) + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

@jamescv7: From what I understand Crystal Security is a cloud based "anti-malware". I don't see how it could work without any other security program to prevent the infection.

@Terry Ganzi: Again I am not sure which Comodo product you have in your mind.I guess the IS.

@Cats-4_Owners-2: Thank you for the links :).I don't like making changes often, so I don't want to get a 1-year code.Thanks again for the giveaways anyway :).
TimeFreeze seems very useful in many occasions and maybe even faster than setting up a new virtual machine to try something.
I am aware of Sandboxie. I just dont know when I should use it. Is sandboxing the browser and the installations enough?

@hjlbx One more vote for the CIS.

Based on your answers, I see that I could either continue with AV (Avast) + Firewall (WF/Comodo/Tinywall) or just go with Comodo Internet Security that already contains both.

I have one more concern. I dont remember a time that either Avast or MalwareBytes Anti-malware found anything with their scans.Is that a good thing or a bad thing ? :p

Again, thank your for your replies and your time.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

I have one more concern. I dont remember a time that either Avast or MalwareBytes Anti-malware found anything with their scans.Is that a good thing or a bad thing ? :p

Could be good (= no detection because system was clean), could be bad (= no detection because no signature existed).

In all likelihood it was good... since your system was probably clean.

You can cobble good security config together using freeware apps or you can just go with Comodo Internet Security (freeware).

In either case, you will get good base-line security.

If you want anti-executable, then NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro works best - especially if you have external hardware like printer, drives, etc. WIth NVT ERP you can keep rundll32.exe black-listed while at the same time white-list safe rundll32.exe command lines. Those rundll command lines are needed for a lot of hardware and their associated softs to work.

If you want to config Comodo as anti-executable, it works like a charm... without need to mess about with interpreters (although, like I said, you can black-list interpreters in Comodo the same as other anti-executables).

You'll get lots of good help here...

Ksipos

Thread author
Oct 3, 2015
Thank you both for your answers.

I am going to setup a virtual machine to try the proposed packages (Avast + the proposed firewalls, Crystal Security, Comodo IS) and I hope to find what works best for me.

Thank you all :)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Cats-4_Owners-2: Thank you for the links :).I don't like making changes often, so I don't want to get a 1-year code.Thanks again for the giveaways anyway :).
TimeFreeze seems very useful in many occasions and maybe even faster than setting up a new virtual machine to try something.
I am aware of Sandboxie. I just dont know when I should use it. Is sandboxing the browser and the installations enough?
I like Sandboxie as evidenced by that over-sized kite below missing it's tail!:p I find it to be an excellent <reset button>, & one we are mainly using to cover exposure to browser vulnerabilities.;) Installations which require restarting of the system limit Sandboxie's role in testing, although testing add-on extensions in browsers are a breeze!:) TimeFreeze is a nice alternative to paid system body armor such as Shadow Defender, our virtual raincoats which protect us from unforeseen storms.:rolleyes:
1 year might seem limiting until one decides they'd like a change, and paid options (esp. on MalwareTips) can often be free. The Giveaways on MT shall be there whenever you'd like to feel lucky for free!:D
If (when) you find yourself using Windows Firewall, Windows Firewall Control may be worth looking into. An option I would choose for myself is Comodo Firewall/sandbox with Avast! free.:):)
Thank You for posting an intriguing & thought provoking request that is like a lite version configuration for free.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.