Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!
Which free AV/combo do you prefer/suggest for Windows 8.1 and why?
I want the conversation here to focus on compatibility of the applications each other/with the system, effectiveness, system resources usage and "buginess"of the applications.
For example Avast free with windows firewall, Avast free with privatefirewall, Comodo IS, Comodo firewall with blah blah AV, windows built-in security etc.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Try qihoo 360 with window firewall or private firewall. Qihoo on-demand scanner is very strong, it's proactive defense is good, But 2 things it lacks is firewall & good url filtering although in my test it caught malware with it's " download protection " feature when i was testing it's url filtering. U can use k9 or panda url filter or avira browser safety for url filtering with adblock addon for blocking malicious ads. and many users says private firewall is strong as CFW , i saw it's review in yt & it' did good.

I

illumination

It would depend on uses, your knowledge ect.. That said, if your looking for light, windows 8.1 default security is really all you need if you are a conscience with your clicking habits..

Reactions: KaptainBug

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
You will never come to a conclusion based on the comments you get here.. Everyone has different tastes and likes. Its better you try few configs and pick one which suite your tastes.

Reactions: Nikos751

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On Windows 8/8.1 I have tried:
  • Windows Defender + SmartScreen + UAC + Firewall

Windows Defender in 8.1 comes with the Network Inspection Service as found in MSE on Windows Vista - 7, but does lack on the options, such as CPU usage etc. WD in Windows 8 is slightly different - Compare the Services of 8 to 8.1

Windows SmartScreen is now present system-wide, compared to just their browsers Internet Explorer version. In IE9, SmartScreen was improved with Application Reputation, I think this is also present in Windows 8 - Can anyone confirm?

UAC on Vista was a real pain, even Norton released their own UAC for Vista. However, since Windows 7 and now 8, UAC is no longer an issue with being annoying.

Windows Firewall requires no configuration, except when joining a new network; Home, Work or Public. Note: Avast's Streaming updates may not function under Work or Public Firewall settings. From Control Panel > Firewall, you can choose to fine tune the Firewall with Advanced Security. It may require some extra time to understand, but the most basic as to block an application from the Internet is fairly simple to do.

All round it's a great set-up for those who prefer the no-nonsense or want piece of mind security. Doesn't over promise like other options, and even Microsoft haven't pushed MSE/WD to be the best of the best. However, I have read that they are planning on working to create MSE/WD more automated and intelligent, without nagging the user of the PC.

• Avast Free (Custom) + SmartScreen + UAC + Firewall with Advanced Security

I'll admit, Avast Free Antivirus does come with a lot more Tools than before, and this is why I opted for a custom installation with the File Shield only. For most users, the Web Shield is also recommended for install. Now comparing it to WD, it may have better overall detection and faster on threat removal. However, I had to uninstall Avast due to the Auto-Sandbox. While it claims to improve security against unknown threats, I honestly, felt less secure. Quite the opposite of what it was offering.

OK, so I don't download random programs and absent-mindlessly run them, but I felt that I was relying on a system that could fail. And I wasn't comfortable about the whole idea of having to risk my system, just so Avast could flag the file as suspicious.

• Webroot SecureAnywhere (trial) + SmartScreen + UAC

One of the better Cloud Antivirus software, but not free. Had to uninstall as WSA has it's own Firewall, and since Windows Firewall was disable, I lost my pre-configured Advanced Security settings for some programs, (ie. IObit Uninstaller tells me there is an update).

• Avira Free Antivirus + SmartScreen + UAC + Firewall

Felt much more lighter than Avast and WD, but it had an odd way of operating on the system. File LukeWalker and all that crazy stuff - it didn't feel natural.

But to mention Avira 2014 is vastly improved over their previous releases. They have completely scrapped the Toolbar and working on Chrome/Firefox browser extensions which look promising at blocking malicious/harmful sites. They also removed the nagscreen and no longer advertises about upgrading or other partnered products. However, I still am doubtful about Avira Online Essentials being bundled with their new releases. If Avira can be downloaded and used without OE, that would be great (let me know), as Avira Online Essentials requires a registered account.

No comment for BETA software:
Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 (Tech Preview)
Returnil during mid-2013.

I applaud you, if you read all of this. :p

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
On Windows 8/8.1 I have tried:
  • Webroot SecureAnywhere (trial) + SmartScreen + UAC

One of the better Cloud Antivirus software, but not free. Had to uninstall as WSA has it's own Firewall, and since Windows Firewall was disable, I lost my pre-configured Advanced Security settings for some programs, (ie. IObit Uninstaller tells me there is an update).
The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.

You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.

The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
There are many free options that are every bit as good as paid.On Windows 8 Widows defender/Firewall/Smartsceen & UAC are very good.Add Sandboxie free and I dont think you can go wrong with that Combo
I don't want to use sandboxie for everyday browsing as I ll lose functionality of the browser. Only if I want to run something grey, I ll run it in sandbox.

Thank you all for replying!

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Reactions: Venustus

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
so.. avast free with only file system + webshield + browser addons, or avira free? both of them with windows firewall uac and smartscreen.
I also have full license for Avast Internet security. Do you recommend Avast firewall?
It seems strange to me that Avira was lighter on system..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.