Free vs. Paid security software

R

rocky

Thread author
I see comments once in awhile where members don't think free and paid software can be compared head to head. I don't understand the reason for this as long as it is suite vs.suite or antivirus vs. antivirus. I use a free option not because it is free but because I believe it is my best protection, if I thought I could get better protection in a paid product I would buy it. But it has never gone that way for me. When I use paid I have not been infected for the year and when I use free it is with the same result. I appreciate tests pitting free and paid head to head and definitely don't see free at a disadvantage just because it is free. Maybe I look at it wrong, what is your opinion?

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Well i'll let you out one of our secret, most of the folks here are paranoid (including me) heheh, but on a serious note Security ultimately comes down to first on the user and then the security products.

Not all Antivirus solutions are free for instance EAM, EAV, etc. Basically it comes down to preference and factors of features a user may want or require, for instance currently the best two free AV in my opinion is 360 Total Security and Avast, yet i don't really like 360 security(even though it's pretty good). Secondly it comes down what features you prefer in a suite or AV some may prefer HIPS or IDS, there may be free solution for it sure say Comodo but someone may just prefer ESET both are good but it comes down to what the user prefers and how the suite or AV on his/ her system performs.

Also you maybe have some decent knowledge on computer infections and how to be safe or to keep away from those pesky sites, but not everyone are upto speed on it, for them it's best to buy a robust solution which does all the hard work.

A scenario would be say where a user is a very basic user and clicks on scam mails or random links or keeps getting infection through external media, for such a user you may wablnt some of the premium features some suites provide you like say Privacy Management, Mail Scanner, One Click Optimizer etc.

So while picking an AV or Security Suite it all boils down to
1) The user.
2) The System and the type of network it's being installed on.
3) What are the requirement or features one may need.

Edit 2: Sorry for the typos, typing on the smartphone is a pain!

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Personally I've never used a free antivirus, for some reason I just do not trust them to offer the same level of protection one gets from paid software. I have used Kaspersky for 2-3yrs, never been infected nor had any issues; yes I have changed to ESET, avast! etc., but only to try them out, however, my main laptop only runs Kaspersky. The most important thing is trust, I trust Kaspersky to protect my system.

Van2r

Level 1
Verified
Oct 14, 2013
hmm if i had better and more advanced knowledge on coding or viruses behave maybe i wouldnt say this but i think both are same for most users but it also depends on which product you mean some are weak even in paid ones.
unlike tony cole i had free antiviruses as long as i known products like comodo and other stuffs like that idont know what is accurate number of years but its a long time and had zero infection in my pc
also i just only infected 1 times with eset smart security (5 or 6 version) by an adware and after using malwarebytes and ccleaner problem fully resolved it just was something like pup i guess even with this 1st product i want if i pay for is eset.
but about many times i reinstalled my windows antiviruses optimizers... and i think idont need to pay money for security because free ones give same or better level sometimes,You could do a test after some months with programs like malwarebytes hitman or herd protect and youcan see if you are in trouble or not!

Reactions: rocky

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
I use almost all paid security software but I wouldn't mind using free also. I use AV that gives me best overall experience.
I like to support development on software I really like. And it's good to have a nice customer support.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's too much to discuss, so all I would say is there are many factors between Free vs Paid software. But one thing for sure are the levels of protection do not differ, unless you're comparing different vendors' services.

R

rocky

Thread author
I guess the point I was trying to make is, no matter if I use a free solution or a paid solution I expect top level protection. Because both solutions have the same purpose I have no problem and look forward to free vs. paid reviews and tests as long as it is antivirus compared to antivirus or suite vs. suite. Free or paid is no excuse and what they bring to do it is their business ,the goal is the same anyway. Is that worded better?

I have to be truthful . If I need customer support I come here.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I see comments once in awhile where members don't think free and paid software can be compared head to head. I don't understand the reason for this as long as it is suite vs.suite or antivirus vs. antivirus. I use a free option not because it is free but because I believe it is my best protection, if I thought I could get better protection in a paid product I would buy it. But it has never gone that way for me. When I use paid I have not been infected for the year and when I use free it is with the same result. I appreciate tests pitting free and paid head to head and definitely don't see free at a disadvantage just because it is free. Maybe I look at it wrong, what is your opinion?

I wrote some time ago a very nice guide here on MT about your questions.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/anti-virus-malware-myths-and-facts.23944/
Cheers

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Over the past three years, I used only free antivirus, and had no infection, I see no need to pay for antivirus nowadays. I have not paid more. I am currently using 360 Total Security and he does very well his role. Thank you!

Reactions: tonibalas and Van2r

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There are some very good free programs and some not so good free programs.There are many very good paid programs and some not so good paid programs.It comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable using to protect you.You must remember free or paid nothing is 100%. Operator error contributes more to infections than does the program you use to protect yourself. I think most paid versions offer a few more tools and extras but the level of protection should be equal.Not everyone is financially capable of spending money on a paid solution so there is nothing wrong with using a free program.If you ask which is better you will get 20 different personal opinions.Best advice is try a trial of some paid programs(they are the same as the non trial versions) and then try some free programs.See how they run on your system and choose which works best for you.
I know people that have used nothing but avast free for many years and have never been infected.Comodo is also free and in my opinion as good as any paid program.Remember there are also many good free programs that you can use alongside your free or paid solution,Sandboxie for one.
Some people will complain that a certain AV or Suite is a resource hog and slows their system to a crawl.Problem is they dont tell you their machine is old and they have many equally resource intensive programs running in the background.My point being that the only way you will really know is to try them out on your own personal system.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
There are some very good free programs and some not so good free programs.There are many very good paid programs and some not so good paid programs.It comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable using to protect you.You must remember free or paid nothing is 100%. Operator error contributes more to infections than does the program you use to protect yourself. I think most paid versions offer a few more tools and extras but the level of protection should be equal.Not everyone is financially capable of spending money on a paid solution so there is nothing wrong with using a free program.If you ask which is better you will get 20 different personal opinions.Best advice is try a trial of some paid programs(they are the same as the non trial versions) and then try some free programs.See how they run on your system and choose which works best for you.
I know people that have used nothing but avast free for many years and have never been infected.Comodo is also free and in my opinion as good as any paid program.Remember there are also many good free programs that you can use alongside your free or paid solution,Sandboxie for one.
Some people will complain that a certain AV or Suite is a resource hog and slows their system to a crawl.Problem is they dont tell you their machine is old and they have many equally resource intensive programs running in the background.My point being that the only way you will really know is to try them out on your own personal system.

very well said.

Reactions: Dani Santos

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Free or paid software is no longer a label for a products, its more on the performance and protection needed.

Actually it is not wasting the money will be an issue, but decision making and time on which AV you are going to use to satisfy your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocky and tonibalas

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Always free software, I will never pay for a security software.

Most anti-malware companies trend is to provide sophisticated fake service giving a false sense of security (through fake products and delirium publications) and since last time they started using their users database as a part of mass media campaigns. There is no big difference between malware and anti-malware in general. They all - potentially unwanted applications. If you don't trust me, see an infected computer and how well it is cured with the "AV" that is installed, read the EULA and you will understand more :)

DanielN

Nov 14, 2014
For me, it's more about the brand. I rather get a free software from a reputable company rather than pay for one that I don't know much about. I've been using the free version of Malwarebytes for a while now and I haven't had any issues. The same goes for AV. A good Kaspersky can also come free.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I, personally, have never paid for security and never will. I'm using ESET on a giveaway code and Webroot on the Broncos Defense codes. I used to use Lavasoft, which I won from MT giveaway (Thanks :)) and same with HitmanPro. @Malware1 was kind enough to send me a Malwarebytes Premium code, but I switched off real-time protection.
In a nutshell, I never pay for security.
Always free software, I will never pay for a security software.

Most anti-malware companies trend is to provide sophisticated fake service giving a false sense of security (through fake products and delirium publications) and since last time they started using their users database as a part of mass media campaigns. There is no big difference between malware and anti-malware in general. They all - potentially unwanted applications. If you don't trust me, see an infected computer and how well it is cured with the "AV" that is installed, read the EULA and you will understand more :)
Absolutely. Honestly, don't buy BitDefender or Norton just for its backup program. I have a feeling it's a marketing scheme to get you to buy their top line of products. If you take more than a handful of photos and videos, 2GB will not be enough. I have a lot of important photos and documents, and 2 GB is not enough to keep them in.
Then, again, some security software makes your computer so slow that it crashes! None of the big names has done that (Norton, Avast, Avira, ESET, etc.) but some ones have.
Rule Of Thumb: If you think the software will be more annoying than malware itself, don't buy it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have been using free AVs for a long time, AVG, Avast! and 360 TS. About 3 months ago I switched to Bitdefender solely because I got an extended trial from the forum! Honestly it doesn't feel any different at all, maybe with paid products you receive more customer support but Bitdefender isn't known to have good support. I have only talked to support when submitting malicious softwares for them to include into their definitions and to tell you the truth I haven't gotten a single email back except those email generated ones.

So my final take on it is if you can just go for the free products, they often offer complete and on par protection compared to the paid products. Normally the paid products include more features such as a firewall (which you can download separately, I personally use comodo firewall). I think when this trial expires I would return to either 360 or Avast! just because of the great and hassle free experience I have had with them! Also I find that 360 has quite a good customer support seeing that I have also submitted some malware to them several times and they have gotten back to me quite quickly with a human on the other end.

Of course some products encourage you to buy their paid products by doing shady things like withholding a signature update until a time of the day. I don't think this is right but I guess they have to make money somehow right?

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I notice that in some cases versions are free because they lack certain features. In which case, I use free versions of other software that provide them.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I, personally, have never paid for security and never will. I'm using ESET on a giveaway code and Webroot on the Broncos Defense codes. I used to use Lavasoft, which I won from MT giveaway (Thanks :)) and same with HitmanPro. @Malware1 was kind enough to send me a Malwarebytes Premium code, but I switched off real-time protection.
In a nutshell, I never pay for security.

Absolutely. Honestly, don't buy BitDefender or Norton just for its backup program. I have a feeling it's a marketing scheme to get you to buy their top line of products. If you take more than a handful of photos and videos, 2GB will not be enough. I have a lot of important photos and documents, and 2 GB is not enough to keep them in.
Then, again, some security software makes your computer so slow that it crashes! None of the big names has done that (Norton, Avast, Avira, ESET, etc.) but some ones have.
Rule Of Thumb: If you think the software will be more annoying than malware itself, don't buy it.

Finally, someone that understands me :)

Reactions: Behold Eck

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
With the amount of quality free products out there it`s quite possible to pull together your own security suite that is probably better imo than any of the paid ones.

On the other hand you could just go for the full Norton, Kaspersky or Bitdefender if time or inclination for experimenting is lacking.

A lot of well informed replies here.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Kate_L

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.