BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Free-Windows-9-for-Both-Windows-7-and-8-1-Users-New-Source-Says-456430-2.jpg

Windows 9 is expected to be significantly different as compared to its predecessors, but one of the biggest changes that it might bring is the freeware license for a number of users.

While Russian leaker WZor says that Windows 9 could be available completely free of charge for those running Windows 8.1, Microsoft watch Mary Jo Foley reveals that Redmond is actually planning an even more exciting strategy to bring more users on the new OS version.

Both Windows 8.x and Windows 7 users could get access to Windows 9 without any fee, which would basically help Microsoft kill two birds with one stone.

First, the company would boost the adoption of Windows 9 and second, more users would move off old Windows versions, including Windows 7, which continues to remain the world’s top operating system.

What’s more, Microsoft is most likely afraid that Windows 7 would become a second Windows XP that would be extremely hard to kill when it reaches end of support, so the company probably attempts to get users off it a lot sooner.

As you can see, information on a potential free version of Windows 9 is a bit vague right now, but there’s no doubt that Microsoft is thinking about it, so let’s just wait a few more months to see whether anyone can get the upcoming operating system free of charge or not.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Question is what method will they use to give free upgrade to windows 7 & 8 users.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Question is what method will they use to give free upgrade to windows 7 & 8 users.
Probably by some online key validation or something. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes via Windows Update :D
As far as I read the news about the Windows 9 last couple of days, it wouldn't be too much different from 8.1, but we'll see...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I thought all the operating systems were free of charge :p:D I agree I think it would be smart to do something like this at least for the home user.I really don't see many big businesses or government agencies switching to Windows 8.1 or 9 anytime soon since many have just went from XP to Windows 7

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
If they use window 8 style upgrade, then everyone will be able to gain a free window 9 key. That would be Windows 9 grabbing mania.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Sounds too good to be true :cool:April 1st hasn't arrived yet :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
This is great news for users of Windows 7 and 8.1, but we'll see what will be true time will tell, because the message was already on this topic a lot, and at some time in August changed, maybe this time the decision in August will not change and will see this is true and it is already not long.
hopefully it was!:)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
This is just a strategy by Microsoft. Now they will make Login to Microsoft Id mandatory. So every small thing you do will be tracked in your Microsoft Account. So it's like though it will a free update but you have to pay with your privacy for rest of your life.

Reactions: Dani Santos
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.