Friends plz sugest me some security tips for My new Windows 8.1

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Hello friends.How are you.Hope you all re fine.

I need your advice for my Windows 8.1. I reticently switched to windows 8.1 from Windows 8. Plz suggest me best security configuration for my pc.

Also suggest me which Antivirus I have to use.Because I have Webroot SeucreAnyehwere and Eset nod32 license key ( which I grabbed from various promos shared by MT msters ;) ) Also One of my friend gifted me BD total security Indian version 2013 on last year. So I am little bit confuse about antivirus. Is Webroot is good as it is so light weighted and have good security reviews too? help me plz

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I would suggest you to go with ESET Nod32 as because it is light & offers very good protection.
& use Windows Firewall which is very good.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
[QUOTE="maanastr, post: 179160, member: 6349" suggest me which Antivirus I have to use.Because I have Webroot SeucreAnyehwere and Eset nod32 license key ( which I grabbed from various promos shared by MT msters ;) ) Also One of my friend gifted me BD total security Indian version 2013 on last year. So I am little bit confuse about antivirus. Is Webroot is good as it is so light weighted and have good security reviews too? help me plz[/QUOTE]
both webroot and eset are light over your system, Bitdefender is also great with its detection, without any problem u may upgrade to bitdefender total security 2014 with the existing license, So if u want a firewall and an optimizing security suit u may try bitdefender, or u may choose ESET or webroot. My suggestion is ESET over the other two products that u have listed.
And one more thing, if u are not that advanced user such as testing products and writing reviews, Windows 8.1 Built in security suit is more than enough with superior lightest impact over ur system. Just use an along side 'on demand scanner' like 'malwarebytes antimalware' with windows built in security. Its up to u to choose now.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
If you want the lighter and almost no performance impact :
Adjust the UAC with max setting and turn on smart screen, use windows firewall built in and windows defender. Both are quite good and I assure you it can be a decent protection if we have a good browsing habbit.

However if you don't want to waste your key, it's really depends, I heard that ESET is lighter than BD, and BD has a good detection rate (I'm not sure about this, I just read it somewhere). But BD is also heavier and sometime buggy, perhaps the difference between ESET and BD on detection rate is about 2/3 %. So it's all up to you to decide, maybe you can use both product with the trial version and play along with it on 2/3 days before you decide you to use your key :)

The good thing (ok maybe not the good thing, or at least not for me) from BD is their auto pilot mode, and since BD is also has "User mode and Auto Pilot Mode" BD is almost no need for configure anything while you use auto pilot mode

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
The good thing (ok maybe not the good thing, or at least for me) from BD is their auto pilot mode, and since BD is also has "User mode and Auto Pilot Mode" BD is almost no need for configure anything while you use auto pilot mode
The Most frustrating part of bitdefender, every time u unplug ur pc for battery usage, bitdefender switches to laptop mode which prevents updates and scanning, and if u manually switch to user mode or autopilot u will get updates and regular scans, but this thing consumes battery very fast and even if updates fail to install there comes the frustrating popups from the widget of BD. And if we ignore that, we wont know what happens in our system, the popup appears for Virus\malware detection, update failure, Reboot after components update, and windows updates, so some or the other the notifications keep coming, I just hate that feature.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
The Most frustrating part of bitdefender, every time u unplug ur pc for battery usage, bitdefender switches to laptop mode which prevents updates and scanning, and if u manually switch to user mode or autopilot u will get updates and regular scans, but this thing consumes battery very fast and even if updates fail to install there comes the frustrating popups from the widget of BD. And if we ignore that, we wont know what happens in our system, the popup appears for Virus\malware detection, update failure, Reboot after components update, and windows updates, so some or the other the notifications keep coming, I just hate that feature.

Yep, same to me, that's why I said maybe it's a good feature, but I didn't like it due that very same problem :D
However, maybe that just happen to us or at least maybe we just like to configure anything :D, since my GF and my family is BD's fan boy, and they keep saying that auto pilot mode is their favorite feature (I don't understand why). So I always thinking maybe that feature is useful for anyone who need it, which we don't like it though o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Hi friends.Thanks for the valuable reply.

Actually I tried BD total security and Sadly saying that I got very bad experience. I installed BD total seucrity on 2 nd April. On next day I found that overall my system running slowly especially the internet connection. I did full system scan with BD,But there was no infection found. Thats why I Installed MalwareBytes. You cant beleive guys.but it detected 1000+ infection in the presence of BD total security.
So I immateriality uninstalled BD. I dont know how it is possilbe? but it happens.After it I decided to install Webroot and surprisingly It also detected some infection in system where BD fails. Webroot is very lightweight.

Plz see below image
MALWARE BYTE REPORT.jpg

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
maanastr, 'Objects detected 1299' is :eek:a lot! Near the beginning of the year, I'd scanned our XP system with Hitman Pro (..before entering it into mandatory retirement, partitioned with Linux lumbuntu) which found over 300 objects, and 'I'd' thought that was a lot!o_O I never got around to trying Bitdefender Free.:rolleyes:
Webroot sounded like it worked well, & your system must be much quicker as a result!:) Thanks for sharing, & keep us posted as you continue with Webroot.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
After seeing the no. of viruses that MalwareBytes detected i think your PC is full malware samples. :D
Below there are some Guides Which might help you to remove malwares from your PC.

1. You can download HitmanPro from the below link, then double-click on it to start this program.
    HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
  2. HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
    hitmanpro-install.jpg

hitmapro-start-scan.jpg
  3. HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for Toolbar malicious files as seen in the image below.
    hitmanpro-scan.jpg
  4. Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove this malicious files.
    hitmanpro-scan-results.jpg
  5. Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
    hitmanpro-activation.jpg
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and browsers for toolbar malicious files and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.

1. You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
    ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
  2. Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
    adwcleaner-icon.jpg

If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
  3. When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button as shown below.
    adwcleaner-scan.jpg

AdwCleaner will now start to search for Toolbar malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
  4. To remove the toolbar malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
    adwcleaner-cleanup.jpg

AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.

1. How to disinfect a compromised system
  1. Download the TDSSKiller.exefile. You can find the info how to download a file on the following pages:
  2. Run the TDSSKiller.exe file on the infected (or possibly infected) computer.
  3. Wait until the scanning and disinfection completes. A reboot might require after the disinfection has been completed.
IMPORTANT
  • The utility has a graphical interface.
5350-113-187993.png

• The utility can be run in Normal Mode and Safe Mode.

I would suggest you to use Malware Removal Assistance Section, Out Experts will help you to remove mostly all the Malwares from your PC.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I would suggest you to use Update MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to latest version which is 2.0
I think this is the live example how bad BitDefender Works.

My Suggestion is you should use one of the recovery option provided by Windows (In PC Settings), I would strongly suggest you to the use the highlighted option in the below image.
This Method would require a Windows 8 or 8.1 Disc.
This Method will remove all software,files in C Drive.

Windows.png

After this process, download all latest version software that you want to download.
Use some tools like Comodo Cleaning Essential & Emsisoft Emergency Kit to scan all the other drives.

I think all method i told in My Previous Post & This post would remove all the viruses from your Computer but still use Malware Removal Section, MT Expert will make sure if any virus is not present.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was watching Matt's (mrizos) video on Youtube, and MBAM 2.0 suffers from a bug that prevents scans from finishing, tested on Windows 32-bit. I noticed this bug too, during beta. I don't think it's a good idea to upgrade until that's fixed.

maanastr

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks you firends. Actully these infection were found on 2nd April and when Bitdefender Total security 2014 was there on my pc.But I dont know why and how It not detected any single infection as it world's no. protection product? Yes as usual Malwarebyte did the job. So I removed BD and installed webroot who also removed some infections. Now My pc is running smoothly and rapidly. And I dont think that these infection still there. I just shared my experience of Bidefender total security. How Can it possible when I had world's no.1 stron protection on systems.

But now I dont want to take any chance. So will run hitman pro and Adwcleaner. Will back with results.. Thank you once again

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks you firends. Actully these infection were found on 2nd April and when Bitdefender Total security 2014 was there on my pc.But I dont know why and how It not detected any single infection as it world's no. protection product? Yes as usual Malwarebyte did the job. So I removed BD and installed webroot who also removed some infections. Now My pc is running smoothly and rapidly. And I dont think that these infection still there. I just shared my experience of Bidefender total security. How Can it possible when I had world's no.1 stron protection on systems.

But now I dont want to take any chance. So will run hitman pro and Adwcleaner. Will back with results.. Thank you once again

Bitdefender & World No.1 Protection; LOL :D:p
For me i think it is worlds worst AV. :D

Good to see you doing a scan with AwCleaner & Hitman Pro.
Try Kaspersky TDSS Killer also.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.