Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Summary: In a move that has surprised and angered security researchers, chip maker FTDI has admitted to issuing a silent update that bricks cloned FTDI FT232 [USB to UART] chips.

ftdi-bricked-windows-update-620x465.jpg

Hardware hackers and security researchers are furious at chip maker FTDI for issuing a silent update that bricks cloned FTDI FT232 [USB to UART] chips.

The chip is extremely common on a wide variety of devices and there is no way of knowing at this time which devices have cloned chips -- and the tainted supply chain could hit anyone.

FTDI appears to have used a recent Windows update to deliver the driver update to brick all cloned FTDI FT232s.

FTDI's surprise new driver reprograms the USB PID to 0, killing the chips instantly.

The hardware hackers at Hack A Day first reported that a recent driver update deployed over Windows Update is bricking cloned versions of the very common FTDI FT232 [USB to UART] chip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
:eek:Yikes!!!!

Thanks Terry! You've given me, for the first time that I can remember, a good reason to be both happy;) and relievedo_O:oops::rolleyes: all of my devices are not even close to being new!!!:cool::D

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Ganzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.