Galaxy TAB 3 acting funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Operating system: Andriod Galaxy Tab 3 (Latest Stable version)

* PS i know lots about computers but Tablets is sort of out of my comfort zone and i actually do not have enough inside to properly clean it.
Also i would like to attach some logs but i have no clue which ones i need and which ones do run on a Tablet.

There are no funny apps installed only the bare minimum as it did come from the shop.
That being said i think given the problems with the TAB 3 that it has a rogue app on it but even the security software on it did not see the rogue app.
My wife is usually using it, and i honestly did not play around with the TAB yet.
So any help would be nice.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Do you know what of Apps are being installed/uninstalled?

VirusTotal on Google Play - On-demand scan of apps installed on your Android device.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virustotal

Lookout
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout

Considered resetting to defaults, as a last resort?

Alright let me give you a list with APPS.
User Installed Apps:
1: CM Security (Premium version)
2: Clean Master
3: Dropbox App
4: Facebook App
5: Polaris Office
6: Adobe Reader
7: Candy Crush Saga
8: Pet rescue Saga
9: Virustotal + Uploader

Samsung pre-packed Apps:
1: Android OS & Auto updates on all prepacked Apps.
2: Google & Google related Apps.
3: Samsung & Samsung related Apps.

Lookout use to be on the TAB 3 but while its pretty good CM Security is just a wee bit better.

To describe the problem, according to my wife she did get a facebook link and used this. (She forgot the link)
Now it seems that either the link was bogus or the site it was refering to has a infection on it that targets tablet users.
So far the tablet is doing everything it should do, however it does do it VERY slow, and so called Apps that secure your Tablet are being attacked by shutting them down or uninstall.
CM Security seems to hold out pretty nice as it blocks virtually all of the attempts, however it does not generate a log that would tell me what the F is going on.
But so far random apps are being downloaded and installed while others are being removed.
Also going back to factory default is a option i cannot use as the Tablet refuses me out right.
Now what i think that is going on that one of the Apps on the Tablet is rogue and has a downloader function that just fills my wifes tablet with all kinds of crap.

So your guess is as good as mine at this point, now the funny thing is when i check the Apps then i just cannot spot a wrong one.
So cosmeticly they seem all to be sound, also the info on those apps confirm they are all from google store or samsung store.
Another funny thing is that the Android OS jumps in size from just a few megs to suddenly over 1GB in size.
So maybe a infected or bogues Android update?

As you can see this is not my cup of tea here, but i got my wife bitching at me that she does not want to lose the pictures and such of our kid being born on the tablet and there is no way i can either drop them on dropbox or on a external hdd.
its all being refused. that said i lost all admin options to maintain the TAB.
Sure in told my wife that next time she needs to store those pictures on a save location... but she forgot GRRRR.
Anyway this is all the info.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 178

1- Galaxy Tab 3 are slow by nature.
2- many samsung apps are ram eaters
3- tell her to use the task manager to REALLY shut down an app.

So far the tablet is doing everything it should do, however it does do it VERY slow, and so called Apps that secure your Tablet are being attacked by shutting them down or uninstall.
CM Security seems to hold out pretty nice as it blocks virtually all of the attempts, however it does not generate a log that would tell me what the F is going on.

never heard of CM security, i use Avast on my android device.

But so far random apps are being downloaded and installed while others are being removed.

for example?

Also going back to factory default is a option i cannot use as the Tablet refuses me out right.

on Settings , do you have the "backup & Reset" tab?

Now what i think that is going on that one of the Apps on the Tablet is rogue and has a downloader function that just fills my wifes tablet with all kinds of crap.

So your guess is as good as mine at this point, now the funny thing is when i check the Apps then i just cannot spot a wrong one.
So cosmeticly they seem all to be sound, also the info on those apps confirm they are all from google store or samsung store.

what kind of apps, can you name them here?

Another funny thing is that the Android OS jumps in size from just a few megs to suddenly over 1GB in size.
So maybe a infected or bogues Android update?

normal with time, unless you root it (and use a root-level cleaner) it accumulate junk files

As you can see this is not my cup of tea here, but i got my wife bitching at me that she does not want to lose the pictures and such of our kid being born on the tablet and there is no way i can either drop them on dropbox or on a external hdd.

copy them to a PC (bluetooth or via usb) or you can use Avast Backup app , it use to google drive.

its all being refused. that said i lost all admin options to maintain the TAB.

in fact unless it is rooted , you never had admin rights :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you have an SD card in the Tab 3,I am assuming you have tried to back up the pics to that and didn't work
Have you tried connecting it to a USB port on your computer and moving the media off that way?
Windows should recognize the Galaxy Tab and you should be able to go into it and move your pics and or videos to your PC

You can try safe mode which will disable all 3rd party apps and allow you to find which one is causing the problems

To turn on safe mode and use it to fix app problems, follow these steps:
  1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When 'Samsung' appears on the screen, release the Power key. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  5. 'Safe mode' will display in the bottom left corner of the screen. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'
To turn off safe mode, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart. Tap OK.

You can try wiping the cache partition this doesn't delete personal data(I would try moving important media and anything else off before doing this just to be safe)

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
  2. Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key at the same time.
  3. Release the Power/lock key when the Samsung logo appears.
  4. Release the Up Volume keys when the Android image appears.
  5. When the menu appears, press the Down Volume key to select Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press the Power/Lock key.
  7. Once the message, “Cache wipe complete” appears on the screen below the menu, Press the Power/Lock key to select Reboot system now.
Have you tried a hard reset? This will allow you to factory reset when you can't access it through settings

To perform a master reset(Hard Reset), follow these steps:
  1. Back up all data on the internal memory.(if you can as all personal data will be lost)
  2. Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
  3. Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key (closest to the Power/Lock key) at the same time.
  4. Release the keys when the Android image appears.
  5. When the menu appears, press the Up Volume key to select wipe data / factory reset.
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Press the UpVolume key to scroll to Yes – delete all user data.
  8. Press the Power key to select.
  9. Press the Power key to select reboot system now.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
1- Galaxy Tab 3 are slow by nature.
2- many samsung apps are ram eaters
3- tell her to use the task manager to REALLY shut down an app.
Taskman is blocked and cannot be used. There is no way i can change ANY config setting and neither can i shutdown any app, it just does not allow me. The buttons are there and when i click on it nothing happens.

never heard of CM security, i use Avast on my android device.
It is a Mobile security suit by kingsoft link

for example?
Ohhh uhm i did not write down the names but they are goofy names and they appear so fast and they are gone next moment.
Also google apps and samsung apps are being removed and android apps and being replaced with Apps that have the same name and icon however these are fake as CM security flags them every time.

on Settings , do you have the "backup & Reset" tab?
Yes its all there BUT the button does not work its being blocked

what kind of apps, can you name them here?
No i cannot name the Apps as my wife did not write them down and neither did i.
I did have a fast check of the tablet and then did shut it down to avoid extra damage.

normal with time, unless you root it (and use a root-level cleaner) it accumulate junk files
CM security suit works with clean master which does clean this crap

copy them to a PC (bluetooth or via usb) or you can use Avast Backup app , it use to google drive.
External connections are being refused... i can connect to internet BUT the moment i come near any security related webpage or backup option or ANY source that could alter or save data i am being locked out.

in fact unless it is rooted , you never had admin rights :D
True its not rooted however with admin rights i mean the ability to do mainance on the tablet and operate it.

Click on expand i used Bold to reply to the questions.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
If you have an SD card in the Tab 3,I am assuming you have tried to back up the pics to that and didn't work
Have you tried connecting it to a USB port on your computer and moving the media off that way?
Windows should recognize the Galaxy Tab and you should be able to go into it and move your pics and or videos to your PC

You can try safe mode which will disable all 3rd party apps and allow you to find which one is causing the problems

To turn on safe mode and use it to fix app problems, follow these steps:
  1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When 'Samsung' appears on the screen, release the Power key. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  4. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  5. 'Safe mode' will display in the bottom left corner of the screen. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'
To turn off safe mode, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart. Tap OK.

You can try wiping the cache partition this doesn't delete personal data(I would try moving important media and anything else off before doing this just to be safe)

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
  2. Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key at the same time.
  3. Release the Power/lock key when the Samsung logo appears.
  4. Release the Up Volume keys when the Android image appears.
  5. When the menu appears, press the Down Volume key to select Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press the Power/Lock key.
  7. Once the message, “Cache wipe complete” appears on the screen below the menu, Press the Power/Lock key to select Reboot system now.
Have you tried a hard reset? This will allow you to factory reset when you can't access it through settings

To perform a master reset(Hard Reset), follow these steps:
  1. Back up all data on the internal memory.(if you can as all personal data will be lost)
  2. Press and hold the Power/Lock key, tap Power off, and then tap OK to turn off the tablet.
  3. Press and hold the Power/Lock key and Up Volume key (closest to the Power/Lock key) at the same time.
  4. Release the keys when the Android image appears.
  5. When the menu appears, press the Up Volume key to select wipe data / factory reset.
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Press the UpVolume key to scroll to Yes – delete all user data.
  8. Press the Power key to select.
  9. Press the Power key to select reboot system now.

Tried this and does not work (while i know it usually does as i tried this already)
That being said my wife said something about Backdoor.AndroidOS CM security seems to have given her a alert 1 day ago but due to the fact she was busy on the tablet she ignored the warning and clicked it away (Silly her).
After a quick google check on the name i found this name: Backdoor.AndroidOS.Obad.a (Kaspersky) and i did read up a bit and the things this backdoor does are exactly the things that the tablet is showing.

Anyway please tell me what to do here as i followed every step to the letter but i am just being locked out.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
you tried a hard reset also?

Cannot access media via connecting to PC?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
you tried a hard reset also?

Cannot access media via connecting to PC?

As i said i am totally locked out, i took out the memory and did put it on a laptop to scan BUT the memory card in crypted and windows cannot read anything on it.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
The sign of the Factory Reset option being blocked is definitely an infection. If a hard reset didn't even work through the recovery, I would suggest flashing a new ROM. I believe it will work, and the process takes only a few minutes to finish (assuming that you have already downloaded the ROM). May I know what's the model of your tablet?

Reactions: Exterminator

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
The sign of the Factory Reset option being blocked is definitely an infection. If a hard reset didn't even work through the recovery, I would suggest flashing a new ROM. I believe it will work, and the process takes only a few minutes to finish (assuming that you have already downloaded the ROM). May I know what's the model of your tablet?

Galaxy Tab 3 (Model: SM-T210 Android version 4.1.2)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you plug the usb tab into your PC you cannot access the media? I agree something nasty on it if you cannot hard reset even using the button option i posted

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
If you plug the usb tab into your PC you cannot access the media? I agree something nasty on it if you cannot hard reset even using the button option i posted

Actually i hooked up the Tablet to a old linux box and it does have Kaspersky on it and i can now confirm that Backdoor.AndroidOS.Obad.a is indeed present plus Backdoor.AndroidOS.Obad.a.apk
So thats good news, now please tell me how to remove this sucker... as kaspersky does detect it but i unable to remove it.
And more important how can i save the photo's on the tablet i really do not care about the rest of the stuff but those photo's which my wife did not backup are the originals of the birth of my son.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
That should be downloaded on Windows. Is it even not accessible through that?
Thats what i am saying my windows box cannot read, see or even detect the tablet. It does see the memory card but it cannot do anything with it as its encrypted and askes for some key to open it and i guarantee you you my wife did not encrypt anything.
So i am sure that Samsugn kies does work but the computer cannot see the tablet.
Now as i mentioned the linux box was able to scan the memory card and found the 2 backdoors mentioned earlier.
So thats really all the info i have.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Thats what i am saying my windows box cannot read, see or even detect the tablet. It does see the memory card but it cannot do anything with it as its encrypted and askes for some key to open it and i guarantee you you my wife did not encrypt anything.
So i am sure that Samsugn kies does work but the computer cannot see the tablet.
Now as i mentioned the linux box was able to scan the memory card and found the 2 backdoors mentioned earlier.
So thats really all the info i have.

Can you try removing the infections from the SD card on Linux by letting Kaspersky run with Superuser permissions? Hopefully the files will still be there.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Tried that but due to the encryption it does see it but is unable to remove it.
To be honest that's all I can do about the memory card, we need someone experienced to help us recover the files if possible. Did you try to get your files back by accessing it from a file manager with superuser permissions and show the hidden files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.