Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
i ticked all the boxes for my system dnt see the need to just type it again :p
Lol!!:D Saving your typing fingers from carpal tunnel syndrome will come in handy for all the games you'll be playing.:p
Nice configuration, dragonx!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
First of all, you've got 3 (THREE) real-time security products running which can cause conflicts, and as this is a gaming PC it will drain power from the system. SO, use only "Avast Free Antivirus" in Real-Time.

1. Real-Time Protection:
Tweak Avast Antivirus with the following settings:

1.Enable PUP Detection:
A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, such as spyware, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. This usually includes: toolbars, browser hijackers or adware (ad-supported software)
  1. Open Avast, click on Settings, then on Active Protection and click on the gear next to the Files System.
  2. In the "Sensitivity", select "Scan for potentially unwanted software (PUPs)".
2-jpg.7181

Next, you will need to do the same for the Web Shield so lets do it.
Click on Settings, then on Active Protection and click on the gear next to the Web Shield. Then select Sensitivity and check "Scan for potentially unwanted software (PUPs)".

2. Enable Warn when downloading files with poor reputation.
In the Web Shield field, you can enable "Warn when downloading files with poor reputation", and it does what it says.. it will warn you when you are downloading a file with a low reputation...
To enable it, click on Settings, then on Active Protection and click on the gear next to the Files System. Then select Web Shield and check Warn when downloading files with poor reputation..
1-jpg.7180

3. Enable Hardened Mode (OPTIONAL)
Hardened Mode is designed to make protection tougher without interfering with the computer usage much.
avast! by default checks suspicious files with DeepScreen within virtual environment to see how they behave. But if you use Hardened Mode, it starts to behave a bit differently.

Hardened Mode: Moderate
Under normal conditions, if avast! decides that some file is too suspicious by various characteristics, it then throws it into the DeepScren for further scanning. But if Moderate Hardened Mode is enabled, avast! automatically blocks files that are detected as suspicious by preliminary analysis.
In most cases DeepScreen checks the file and if it doesn't find obvious malicious problems with it, those files are started automatically after analysis. But Hardened Mode (Moderate) blocks it right there.

Hardened Mode Agressive
This mode behaves a bit differently. It actually relies on analysis on a very small scale and mostly relies on a huge whitelist database located in avast! Cloud. If file is located within the cloud and flagged as safe, it will allow to run it. If it's not found or marked as bad, it will block it. So, at least based on my experience, Aggressive Mode is actually much more secure and also a lot less intrusive. Only time that it will cause problems is with some very rare old software or very very new software that isn't used by thousands of users. Usually some very specialized programs used by only few users.
Moderate mode often feels a bit too paranoid (despite its name) because it often blocks safe programs just because they exhibit local suspicious file characteristics that are basically ignored by the Aggressive mode.

To enable Avast's Hardened mode to go:
Open Avast, click on Settings, then on Antivirus and check "Enable Hardened Mode", then put a check-mark on Aggressive or Moderated as you wish.
1-jpg.7700

2. Browser Protection:
uBlock - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en
You need an adblocker becauser apart from the simple fact that most ads are annoying, some of them might even lead you to adware or potentially unwanted programs. This add-on will block all the ads from a web page, making it look very clean and neat!

WOT (Web of Trust): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT. Here is how it works:

3. Virtualization:
A virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual environment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it for when you're browsing the Internet or running shady or unknown programs. Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised! Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.
If you learn how to properly use Sandboxie, then you really decrease your chances of gettings an infection, I'm always running my web browser sandbox just to be on the safe side.....

4. On-demand scanners
An on-demand scanners is a type of antivirus program that actively scans your computer for malware only when prompted to do so by the computer user, or by scheduling it as a time-specific task. Unlike a traditional antivirus, an on-demand scanner will NOT protect your computer in Real-Time.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro are two of the most known and used on-demand scanners. It's a good idea to have them installed on your machine, and perform regular scans with these anti-malware software.

Hitman Pro - Link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed

That's about it!

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
thanks man but i have sandboxie installed and i use an addo ncalled stayfocusd to block harmnfu lsites to do with hacking etc, i have malwarebytes pro for online scanners. i have online armor as a firewall and my avast was pretty much setup like that apart fro mthe PUP and suspicious download checker thing but thanks for taking your time to help me

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
so with th real time stuff should i uninstall one of them or leave them there my real time stuff is MBAM,AVAST FREE AV,EAM

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
so eam anti malware isnt like mbam its an antivirus scanner think i might uninstall it really since i have avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.