Gaming... teenagers only way to entertain themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
I went to sweclockers.com, a swedish hardware site, and saw an article where a statistics shows that 92% of all children and youths between nine to sixteen play games.

Parents are scared that gaming might have negative effect on their children lives; for instance all they say and learn is from the computer games, in some blood and killing. In other words children are limited to what the game has to offer.

Article - use google as translator :D

My question is: How do you entertain your spear/free time? write what you think about in form of reflection

try to follow this structure for more structured discussion. I will begin so you get better understanding

How I entertain myself

I use my free time to read, from time to time, to read articles from homepages such as sweclockers, nordichardware, and fudzilla are some for me to get hardware news :) And software is actually MalwareTips :)

As some know I spead a lot the time also on forums ( at the moment MalwareTips and notebookreview forums)

Besides spending time in front of the computer, my fiance and I play games, such as Uno (a german game :D ) and monopoly for instance. And we go for nice walks, especially during the weekend :)

Reflection

I can understand their perspective and I do agree that only getting blood and killing as input might have negative effect on their view. Children need to get a rich perspective in order to get a glinch how our lives work as well as how to adapt and gaming might narrow that rich perspective.

It depends what kind of games the person in question, plays, I believe that playing counter strike has a very bad influence since everything happens so fast which might lead to get bored when you study or read because it takes time and things doesn't happen so fast.

But there are some good aspect about gaming, for instance, my reaction response is very good even if that shouldn't be the case since I only see with on eye at the time. So gaming has in that sense positive effect. Games, for study purpose, can make studying more interesting and exacting.

My two cents :D

Devial

Mar 6, 2011
I must admit that i have gamed a lot but i do not regret it, I have always been playing with my irl mates or at least some, but haven't really been playing for 2 years or so. Gaming have had a positive influence on me.

I spend my spear time with my friends, training, running and of cause i spend some of my time on homework, studying IT at the moment. And reading etc on forums/communities.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Devial said:
I must admit that i have gamed a lot but i do not regret it, I have always been playing with my irl mates or at least some, but haven't really been playing for 2 years or so. Gaming have had a positive influence on me.

I spend my spear time with my friends, training, running and of cause i spend some of my time on homework, studying IT at the moment. And reading etc on forums/communities.

In which ways did it have an good influence?

gbpackerfan

Jun 14, 2011
I'm still a teenager now and, I don't know what to say about gaming. I'm usually homework first, then video games, so it doesn't really impact me. Plus, I have straight As, one of the few rare people out of 700 kids who do have it (But people at my school are not very intelligent). I procrastinate, but don't do it to the point where it'll affect my grade. Unlike most kids at my school, I use logic, and focus on schoolwork, even at home, until I'm entirely done with everything. After all, if I finish schoolwork early, that means 7-10 hours of free time, right?

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
I'm still a teenager now and, I don't know what to say about gaming. I'm usually homework first, then video games, so it doesn't really impact me. Plus, I have straight As, one of the few rare people out of 700 kids who do have it (But people at my school are not very intelligent). I procrastinate, but don't do it to the point where it'll affect my grade. Unlike most kids at my school, I use logic, and focus on schoolwork, even at home, until I'm entirely done with everything. After all, if I finish schoolwork early, that means 7-10 hours of free time, right?

nice experience share :) 7-10h free time? Sounds a lot but not impossible. I didn't have much spear time for myself since I helped my mother at her work quite often and I also have problem with my eyes in that sense that I only see with on eye at the moment, making it hard to focus, or reading something multiple times, so I needed to invest more time to accomplish the same goals as others. I also had the ambition to achieve good grades.

I remember how I was when 8-13, Sometimes I could play all day longer, from the moment that I woke up and till I went to bed at night, and not early nights :D, some where late, ~10:30pm. Sometimes I even called some former pals of mine and played DOA2 from morning to evening.

Now I know that I wasted a lot of time on gaming, it was fun but I can't say if it was that time, some it of course.

Now I don't play that much anymore, only testing a few games and needforspeedworld, for about 30min to 1h. The rest goes to the studying and, reading articles forums

Devial

Mar 6, 2011
Valentin N said:
Devial said:

In which ways did it have an good influence?

It have been a good influence on my english, helped me to relax and keeping down my stress.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
My son (13yo) has been reading a lot. I am thankful for that. I would rather him read nonfiction, but as long as he is reading, I really don't care. It is better than playing video games all of the time. He is into skateboarding too. A couple of good hobbies/sports is all a kid needs for recreation, then a video game here or there is no big deal.

My brother is 47. He plays video games all of the time, and always has, so even if a kid is playing them all the time, IT COULD BE WORSE. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.