Gene J Security Configuration

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Simple but pretty good configuration.

Its ok to add on demand scanners like Hitman Pro and MBAM for once a week purpose then I assume you use CCleaner for cleaning all traces.

Extensions: Adguard and HTPPS Everywhere (Good to add a backup browser if your current as problem).

Well surely if you what are you doing the its fine, based in your computer knowledge declaration. ;)

Reactions: JM Safe

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Welcome Gene J. This is IMHO the best security forum on the interweb. There are many, many reasons for that, so I'll point out just a few. There is another very well known and respected security site, but I find it has become a bit stuffy. For instance, you cannot ask me what a good free antivirus would be and I can't give you my opinion. Here at MalwareTips we have a "War Room" which pretty much says it all. There is also a virus exchange here which you will not find at that other fine security forum. Another plus, we have no fanboys. Most of them were captured, and placed, by forum members in a kind of "Internment Camp", but for fanboys. After serving their sentence it's off the the "MalwareTips Re-Education Camp" Once there they learn to dial down their almost religious fervor for one security product. I'm sure you are thinking, "Gee stephentony, that all sounds a bit harsh" You're right Gene J it is, because it has to be. It's all done with love because we want these people to be able to re-integrate into the security forum mainstream. Anyway, this forum has a much warmer atmosphere than I have found anywhere else, and I say that as a long time member of that other large prestigious forum. You mentioned looking forward to learning from everyone on this site. I can honestly say you have nothing to learn from me. ;) My wife tells me that all the time. Now that I think of it, that goes for most of the forum members here. All seriousness aside, this is a fantastic security forum with many super knowledgeable members who will only take Bitcoins for their advice or assistance. I on the other hand will take checks made out to CASH. Again, its nice to have you here and welcome to MalwareTips :)

PS - I forgot to mention that I like your configuration. Lean and mean. The only blemish on an otherwise great configuration is that you're a Mac user.:( At least you have an area you can improve upon by upgrading to a Windows PC. Linux is great, too! Good luck and we'll hope to see you around.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable UAC if not already enabled.
Consider adding an on demand scanner(s)
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
Browser extensions mentioned above by @jamescv7
All in all looks good!!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Reactions: JM Safe

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
Consider adding herprotect for its 68 engines.
You should probably change to a better performing active protection, E.G Avast Free 2015, Avg has very poor detection IMHO
Also try CryptoPrevent from Foolishit set protection to normal ***WILL RARELY CAUSE INSTILLATION ISSUES WITH CERTAIN PROGRAMS***( Spotify, Etc.)

For password protection I recommend strongpasswordgenerator.com with lastpass etc.
Also try a more secure browser that doesnt track everything you do, Chrome is made by Google which is known for its analytics.
Lastly, try out Peerblock and Sandboxie

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 Virus Scanner, that is a very quick and powerful scanner.
Then you can install also Auslogics Disk Defrag to improve the speed of your PC.
And another thing: add to your browser Collusion extension, which is a very important tool, because it allows you to know which websites are tracking you.
Then you can install also MPC-HC, that is a very good and fast media player.
For the rest, good config. ;)

Reactions: LabZero

Rogue987

Level 3
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
My Suggestion(s)
Firewall: Windows Firewall Control (Add's more ability to the windows firewall).
On-Demand Scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Real-Time Protection: Unchecky.
Program Updater: FileHippo Update Manager.
Browser Extensions: Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, Adguard.
User Account Control: Advanced - Always Notify
Privacy and Optimization: CCleaner, Wise Care 365

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Do you have a local backup&recovery plan for OS image ?
If not you can add Paragon B&R free edition or Aomei Backupper free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.