Google changing Chrome malware, phishing warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
New designs for interstitial warning pages for malware and phishing sites detected by Google Safe Browsing are simpler.

256px-Chrome_Logo.svg.png

As announced by Google engineer and "usable security researcher" Adrienne Porter Felt on Twitter, the newest designs for malware and phishing site warnings from Google Chrome have gone out on the Canary and Dev channels.

Google Safe Browsing is a service that maintains blacklists of URLs of sits that contain phishing and malware. It provides an API for other software to use, and is used by both Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox. Microsoft uses their own SmartScreen service.

When Chrome encounters a site which Safe Browsing says is malicious, it raises an interstitial warning page like those below. Firefox and Safari have their own warning pages. The new Chrome warning pages are only on the Dev and Canary distributions, not the Beta or Stable.

This will be the new malware warning page:

safebrowsing1-620x376.jpg

This is the old malware warning page:

safebrowsing2-620x395.jpg

This will be the new phishing warning page:

safebrowsing3-620x339.jpg

This is the old phishing warning page:

safebrowsing4-620x343.jpg

The new designs are simpler, but perhaps the absence of the cartoon image is intended to induce the user to take the warning more seriously.

Source

D

Deleted member 178

RED means Dangerous, the human brain is very simple to manipulate :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
is this specific to chrome only? i use srware iron and opera chromium

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
is this specific to chrome only? i use srware iron and opera chromium
As far as I know this is a part of the Google branding only available on Google Chrome.
Possibly could be added to future Chromium clones, right now is only available on Canary and Dev channels of Google Chrome.

Mozilla based browser also partner with Google Safe browsing but their notifications are different.
I'm not sure about Opera they used to use their own malware and phishing protection.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: marg and WinXPert
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.