Google Chrome Listening In To Your Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yigido

Thread author
chrome-voicesearch-300x200.png

Yesterday, news broke that Google has been stealth downloading audio listeners onto every computer that runs Chrome, and transmits audio data back to Google. Effectively, this means that Google had taken itself the right to listen to every conversation in every room that runs Chrome somewhere, without any kind of consent from the people eavesdropped on. In official statements, Google shrugged off the practice with what amounts to “we can do that”.

--Full Story--

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
I am almost sure they use it to spy. same as samsung..if u have a samsung handy u need to open your battery,there are spychips in there in samsung 5 and above and that is true..u can look on youtube,they have realy spymicrochips in there batterie. i would not use google(chrome) or samsung anymore,realy. Iphone have this microphonespychips too sometimes in there batteries but u cant open it as simple as samsung batteries to catch them. its realy,realy scary what big companies doing.

Reactions: Piteko21
I

illumination

Thread author
Anybody run Wireshark on their system with Google Chrome to prove they have a constant data stream being sent to their servers from this supposed breach in trust?

Reactions: Kent

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
I'm thinking more in line that this is possibility that could be exploited but even for Google that would mean more gigantic storage facilities to store all that data.

I'm more concerned that Google is much to powerful and doesn't take user opinions into account anymore.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I'm thinking more in line that this is possibility that could be exploited but even for Google that would mean more gigantic storage facilities to store all that data.

I'm more concerned that Google is much to powerful and doesn't take user opinions into account anymore.
Well said and i agree.

Reactions: Kent and Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I knew Hotword was Voice-related, and something I have been removing (deleting) ever since introduced in Chrome. The folder is hidden in the User Data > Extensions folder.

However, could users be protected from one of the following situations:

- Disable Microphone / Webcam usage from Windows 8/8.1 PC Settings > Privacy?
- Disable Microphone / Webcam usage from Flash Player settings?
- Disable Microphone / Webcam usage from Chrome settings?

Thanks.

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
I am almost sure they use it to spy. same as samsung..if u have a samsung handy u need to open your battery,there are spychips in there in samsung 5 and above and that is true..u can look on youtube,they have realy spymicrochips in there batterie. i would not use google(chrome) or samsung anymore,realy. Iphone have this microphonespychips too sometimes in there batteries but u cant open it as simple as samsung batteries to catch them. its realy,realy scary what big companies doing.

Samsung does not use spy microchips in the battery and that is absolute nonsense. I own myself a Samsung Galaxy S5 and there is not a spy microship in the battery. In the battery is only a NFC chip and this chip is often mistaken as a spy microchip. And NFC means "Near Field Communication". The first Smartphone with NFC was the Nexus S from 2010. To cite just one example, is the cashless payment with NFC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

Reactions: frogboy

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
The same reason why people still use Facebook, Firefox, Windows, iOS or any other software. There is nothing malicious about using Chrome.

Because it's either "this or that" with most things. People often pick between two or more things and just decide on one.

It all comes down to the users choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.