Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Google, Microsoft and Adobe have started to pull people and resources from Russia amid ongoing tensions with the West and concerns with new censorship laws due to take effect from next month.

According to iTWire, Google has ceased its R&D operations in Russia and has started to pull engineers. However, Google is not the only technology company to scale down operations. Microsoft has moved its Skype development team out of Russia, while Adobe has completely pulled out.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has grown suspicious of the West, global companies, and the Internet. In April, Putin said he believes the Internet was a front for the CIA. He pointed to the Internet's origins as a joint US military and academic project as proof, and warned Russians against using Google as the traffic flows through to the US and is monitored.

Earlier this year, Putin signed into law new regulations that requires technology companies that are collecting data on Russian citizens to store that data in local datacenters. Originally to take effect from September 2016, Putin moved the deadline to next month.

To comply with the new law, companies like Facebook and Twitter may need to keep data stored locally which means they must keep servers on Russian soil; this is expected to provide a surge in local storage and server demands for the region.

Source: iTWire

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
A fascinating article which brings to mind an excellent FX series "The Americans", only these activities are seemingly more transparent and are taking place on Russia's soil; and this also brings one to wonder if "The Cold War" between our nations is still alive and well.

E

eight

A software sanction of sorts laid by The Lady of Liberty on Mother Russia.

I am sure President Putin stays unfazed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such situation where uprising frequently occurred therefore there are tendency to pull out temporarily, one of the factors where stability became an issue.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
We do not allow political or religion threads as the may escalate into flaming and rudeness against MalwareTips, its staff, other forum members or any other party. MalwareTips is truly global and so are its forum members. Cultures, opinions and traditions differ, and MalwareTips forums are a place for cooperation, not clashes.
http://malwaretips.com/pages/rules/

You must understand that this is politics and business
Nothing Personal...... It`s just business:D
66050911603831dbe57039ee18d487f8bb03aaf81e2b2c31.jpg

Reactions: Oxygen and jamescv7

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
In light of all the posturing going on between B.H. Obama, and Vladimir V. Putin, should U.S. residents be using Kaspersky or Dr. Web security software? I mean, how long before Putin gives the order for those two security software companies to commence manipulation of its American customers, and at what cost?
I use Dr. Web products sometimes, and I would rather not stop using them, unless there is ultimately a cyber attack coming my way from their offices in Moscow.
It is tricky business--the virtual security sector, that is--because you never know when an employee, or a group of employees, will go rogue-activist, and use your trusted security suite against you via "statisic gathering" schemes that are often considered the norm.
I am not picking on Russia, or Russians. This type of thing can happen anywhere, especially when a host nation is desperate and feeling isolated.
I am seeking objective, emotionless feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: softwareFREEk
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.