Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Today, on November 25, 2014, happened something we feared and wished to avoid. Google removed our app from the Play Store for so-called violation of the terms of “Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement”, term 4.4.

Let’s face it, Google consistently continues its “banning policy” in regard to all apps that may in any way interfere with the company’s way to make money on Android users, regardless of what users actually want (or don’t want). This case once again shows how much influence one “not-evil” corporation has on the platform, which was once designed and declared as open and free.

Why was Adguard removed?
Term 4.4 which was the reason for removal of our app is as follows:

You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Store, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Store to sell or distribute Products outside of the Store.

You can see for yourself how vaguely it is worded. In fact, too many Google Play apps meet the definition of this rule.

How to install Adguard now?
Fortunately, in addition to the Adguard version for Google Play, we initially offered a special standalone version, which does not depend on any third-party infrastructure.

You can download and install a standalone version on this page.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
I prefer AdFree from BigTin.com, you can download it from their site.

Works quite well on browser and ads on apps. (Requires Root)

Reactions: frogboy

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I prefer AdFree from BigTin.com, you can download it from their site.

Works quite well on browser and ads on apps. (Requires Root)

Are you aware of any AdRemover which works without root? I don't like rooting my phone :p

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I got one that hangs on the wall. :rolleyes:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I have no root firewall. I have disabled network access to every app except browser and google play. That stopped the Apps showing annoying Ads. :) .

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Unless it's a Nokia 3310!!! He is hiding the embodiment of Satan himslef on his wall! Weapon of Mass Destruction lol!

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Nope no joke. Just the one on the wall. :D:D:D
I thoght my friend was bad,he finally got a cell phone (flip phone,4 yrs old) and keeps it turned off and in the glovebox of his car. He went for A whole year without a ringer on the landline phone,and all he had to do was plug in the new one sitting in the box on the floor next to the broken one. Took him 3 months to set up his new laptop,but instead went to the library to gett his email.

Anyways,I downloaded the free version of "Adaway" and it works really good so far. Non rooted HTC Evo 4g LTE,4.1.1 So,this program works better than "Disconnect me" did when I tested it out. They had their app booted about six months ago for the same reasons. Both apps can be downloaded from their websites.

akshay1189

Level 3
Verified
Dec 6, 2013
Let’s face it, Google consistently continues its “banning policy” in regard to all apps that may in any way interfere with the company’s way to make money...

Reactions: MrXidus and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.