Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Giving in to user backlash, Google has removed code from Chromium that originally allowed the browser to listen in on a computer's microphone.

The code in question will no longer be included, starting with Chromium build r335874. Prior builds automatically downloaded an extension that could tap a microphone for the purpose of hearing voice commands..
On the surface that doesn't sound nefarious when you consider that Google's Chrome browser -- which includes proprietary Google code -- has had a similar function for months.
The intent of the extension is listen for the "OK Google" hot word to perform searches and voice commands, as well as get Google Now information.

The problem here is that Chromium isn't Chrome; it's an open-source browser. As such, all of the code can be publicly examined. That wasn't the case with the extension, however; it wasn't even appearing in the list of installed extensions even though it was present in prior Chromium builds.

Essentially, Google was installing a code package that couldn't be inspected and doing so without a user's consent. That's a big no-no for privacy advocates and flies against the spirit of open-source software.

Unfortunately, it took the public calling Google out on the situation to make the change. It did, saying this:

"A binary blob module like this can not be installed by a user via clicking on a link. Such a Native Client module can only be installed by the user deliberately from the Chrome Web Store. Chromium is open source and it's important to us, as is it is to you, that it doesn't ship with closed-source components, lazily or not."
Note that even with the extension installed and enabled, the "OK Google" hot word is actually processed locally; the same as it is for Google Android phones -- you can test that by disabling network access and see for yourself.
Regardless, closed-source code shouldn't be part of an open-source browser and certainly not in a way that appears to be behind the scenes. It's good that Google acquiesced here but this situation really shouldn't have happened to begin with.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Something like this isn't going to make me stop using Chromium based browsers (because I don't hook up a mic to my computer). I don't use them because for some reason they have problems with my computer. For whatever reason my screen blinks when using them and they seem to have a problem with Xmarks yet again. I can't sync my bookmarks anymore even using the methods that used to fix this problem. Might be Xmarks fault though. I don't know. If my extension/add ons don't all work, then I can't use that browser.

To be honest I just like it because of it's speed with HTLM5 YouTube videos.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I thought Google didn't control Chromium. Oops! Do they control CoolNovo as well?
I'd thought the same as you (Ditto, oops!:oops:) but have been reminded upon reading this thread: Open Source, similarly to "organic" gardening, is dependent upon whom is doing the gardening or as in this case,
the "Sourcing"!o_O
They (unfortunately) created it and maintain it. CoolNovo is discontinued isn't it?
I remembered the name, CoolNovo,:cool: and so popped over to Softpedia. They still offer it as a freeware download, although it hasn't been updated since July, 2014.:confused: ...guess that makes it "Old-unsupported-Novo" now.:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
This isn't going to stop me from using Chromium because I rarely never have a mic hooked up. I don't even use this browser for much anyways, so I really don't care if they try to ruin their project by going in the wrong direction.

Forcing Closed Source on something that is Open Source doesn't seem to make any sense at all. They do have a right to do what they wish, but adding something that is possibly listening to your every word is just wrong.

And there will always be that one person who defends this browser no matter what they do wrong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well of course no matter how small or big scale company it has; when there's an issue then 'Quality Control check' must be implemented. People's voice are always powerful and holds the reputation and its future progress of any developments may happen.

Since when there's any affected users then considered to be majority and needs to solve the problem immediately as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.