HDD always to 100% on Windows 8.1 tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Hello

My second notebook running Windows 8.1 has good performance, but sometimes slows and there seems to be some problem, by opening the Task Manager I have found that the disk usage is always at 100% for no apparent reason, even if the computer is idle.

Performing simple tests and informing me I came to solve part of the problem.

I want to share it with you but if something looks wrong please tell me in the comments!

A frequent problem is the Windows superfetch (its purpose is to manage the computer's memory (RAM) as efficiently as possible. Accelerating the boot process and intelligently manage the memory usage of applications that you use most often) to disable it:

-Click Windows key + R key

-Write services.msc in run

-In the list find Superfetch

-Stop it and disable it

-Restart your PC

Delete hiberfil.sys (to retrieve some space):

Deleting hiberfil.sys is possible only from the Terminal, as it is a protected system file. To remove it you have to open a Command Prompt with administrator permissions (on Start-> App-Windows-System > > Prompt).
Before you open it you have to click with the right mouse button and select run as administrator.
Once you start the shell, type:

powercfg-h off

Press enter and restart your PC. With this simple step you have certainly a lot space released.

Resize pagefile.sys (maybe after a clean Windows 8.1 recovery, if all solutions have not worked before), this step only the Council has a good hardware (at least 4 GB of RAM), because unlike hiberfil.sys, reducing or disabling the pagefile can cause slowdowns and instability to your PC.
To disable or reduce the pagefile.sys:

-Open Control Panel: System

-In the menu on the left click on Advanced System Settings

-Select the Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance

-At the next window select the Advanced tab and click Change

-Will open a new window titled Virtual Memory now here are three choices:

+ Completely eliminate the pagefile.sys file (if you have a PC with 8 GB of RAM not to think about even: disable, if you have 4 GB and uses your PC to navigate with 3 or 4 other open applications, currency, but you should do it):

Mark no paging file and click Set.

+ Set the recommended minimum of 800 MB:

Mark custom size and enter 800 MB.

+ To handle everything from your system:

managed size check from your system.

Reboot your PC and you will notice the difference.

Last thing I will tell you just to inform you that Microsoft has improved a lot this utility cleanmgr, besides clean up temporary internet files, Recycle Bin, memory dumps and whatnot, cleanmgr in Windows 8.1 allows you to delete all the files in the update installer.
To add additional options you have to press the Cleaning system files (of course in the Disk Cleanup dialog box, which you can open from run by typing "cleanmgr").

EDIT :

Revert changes

Enable Superfetch

Press the Windows + R keys > type services.msc > double-click on the Superfetch service > set Startup type to enabled then Start the service or reboot.

Re-enabling hiberfil.sys

To turn the Hibernate function back on, simply recheck the Enable Hibernation setting under Power Option Properties or enter "powercfg.exe -h on" at a command prompt with administrative privileges.

To revert Pagefiles.sys changes

-Open Control Panel: System

-In the menu on the left click on Advanced System Settings

-Select the Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance

-At the next window select the Advanced tab and click Change

Check : Automatically manage paging file size for all drives

Regards :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nedim

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You missed details about your PC.

What do you recommend to revert these changes?

L

LabZero

Thread author
You missed details about your PC.

What do you recommend to revert these changes?
Sorry, my PC : Win 8.1, 4 Gb RAM , Intel Celeron B830, 320 Gb HDD
I noticed that with these changes, the PC is more reactive, although sometimes the HDD on 100%

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I noticed that with these changes, the PC is more reactive, although sometimes the HDD on 100%

It doesn't seem that this was the correct solution. I wouldn't alter the Pagefile or Superfetch services.

Have you checked the .NET Framework NGEN services, the background automatic maintenance (from Action Center), do you have Windows Search indexing everything or limited areas of the drive?

L

LabZero

Thread author
It doesn't seem that this was the correct solution. I wouldn't alter the Pagefile or Superfetch services.

Have you checked the .NET Framework NGEN services, the background automatic maintenance (from Action Center), do you have Windows Search indexing everything or limited areas of the drive?
Yes, it was my experiment but do not know it is the correct street.
I disabled Windows Search indexing because I don't do research in the file and this still slowed Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.