hdp9star's Security Configuration

hdp9star

Thread author
Aug 10, 2014
Hello All!
I really like to use different tactics to harden OS by built in features! I do frequently run different antivirus time to time. I also like to test them on VM too, but as amateur ;)

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Nice config and my suggestion is to add a password manager like LastPass to secure your passwords when you are online;).
Thanks for sharing.

hdp9star

Thread author
Aug 10, 2014
Hi, seems I know this type of setup but don't forget your built in Windows Defender and Smartscreen filter can help you to harden it more.

More details: http://hardenwindows8forsecurity.com/Harden Windows 8.1 64bit Home.html

You may add on demand scanner: Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro.
Thanks jamescv7 for your comment and link nice read, but to be honest too technical :D especially the networking part. Nice read though and bookmarked. I do scan some times with hitman pro but rarely, and always come up clean.

Updated to 8.1.1?
Agree with on demand scanner options suggested by @jamescv7
Maybe add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome
Thanks for the comment, and will look into HTTPS Everywhere;)

Nice config and my suggestion is to add a password manager like LastPass to secure your passwords when you are online;).
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for suggestion, I used it in past when I was in US (as a student) and needed to organize passwords specially for shopping sites.I stop using it as I prefer to use desktop client for email check, and rarely do online shopping and banking here in India.

I sometimes may be once or twice a month use online banking, and I just private browse through the chrome. I might add an antivirus, and I think I am good to go. I also feel that, using OS hardening features are make situation worst and locked down OS if configured wrong, I had those situation, as a result I spend more times to resolved the issue than re-install the OS :(. After so much experimenting, I stop to configure OS too complicated, just use SRP, run as Basic user, and couple of GPO's to block the Autorun and external execution.

Thank you,
HDP

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.