Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Health insurance information is sent by HealthCare.gov to advertising companies that track data from websites for marketing purposes.

Among the details passed to third parties there is a person’s zip code, financial status, whether the user is a smoker, age, parental status, or if they are pregnant.

Data is sent through the referrer header

The report comes from the Associated Press and it has been confirmed by tests carried out by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

It appears that at the receiving end of HealthCare.gov’s data are companies like Google, Twitter, Yahoo and Akamai. However, EFF has discovered that there are 14 domains getting the information from the US government’s health insurance website, even if the Do Not Track header is turned on in the user’s web browser.

The information is sent via the referrer header, which contains the URL of the page requesting a third party resource. The referrer header is an essential part of the HTTP protocol, and is sent for every request that is made on the web,” EFF’s Cooper Quintin writes in a blog post.

Attackers could steal the data from advertisers

Apart from the obvious privacy breach, there is also a security risk users of the website are unnecessarily exposed to.

Reactions: cruelsister

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi,

Yes tracking is becoming a really big problem,but Firefox is already working on fixing the header problem. I believe the fix is in beta right now,and soon will be out for stable. What they are doing is reducing the amount of information in the header. I will see if I can dig up the article I read today or maybe yesterday.

As for not trusting AV apps from China,well,I for one have read too many stories about privacy leaks from venders there. That includes manufactures as well as software. So,do your homework as with anything you install. If you don't trust it,well don't install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.