Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
In a landslide vote on Wednesday, the US House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly in favour of the USA Freedom Act, potentially signifying the end of the National Security Agency’s (NSA) most controversial spying elements.
The bill, which passed by a vote of 338 to 88, would end the government’s bulk collection of phone records from US telecoms companies – a surveillance program first brought to light in 2006, but not given the attention it deserved until ex-contractor Edward Snowden began leaking information about the NSA’s spying powers.
The new USA Freedom Act instead calls for carriers and telecommunications companies to retain records, with the NSA forced to obtain court orders from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. Access by the NSA would also be limited to specific search terms, ensuring access would only be given to relevant records.

Read more here. https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/hou...ook&utm_campaign=house-passes-usa-freedom-act

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Well done Edward Snowden! It's terrible they said if he returned to the US to face trial they would wave the death penalty.

Reactions: frogboy

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/05/senate-adjourns-rejects-compromise-metadata-surveillance-bill/ Annnd...it's rejected. I see it coming, May 31st they'll slip something into current law or outright renew the Patriot bill untouched literally at the last minute. The Freedom Act, I have this bad feeling, was a ruse. They do this all the time, either wait until the very last possible second or water down a controversial bill to get it to pass and strengthen it back up once nothing can be done about it.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Without Snowden this would never be happend. Snowden is a real hero in this time..its sad that a "hero" need to hide somewhere and cant go to usa and life his life like he want it. thats just one more point to show in what for a wrong world we life.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I'll withhold making a statue in the town square for him for a few years. When it comes to government affairs and leaks, I stay skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.