Guide | How To How do I know which Apps to update?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! I've been reading TwinHeadedEagle's suggestions. He recommended this App.
I don't like BETA. Here's a list of updates by filehippo. Which ones should I up date?? Also don't some of these update on their own?
Thanks for your reply!
Should I up date BETA??
Capture48.JPG

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Just uncheck the 'show beta updates'. then u will know which applications need stable updates.

Capture48.JPG

The Beta updates are beyond the stable updates, if u are planning to test the app and report then u may go ahead of downloading the beta updates also. My suggestion is ignore beta versions and use stand alone stable updates.

Reactions: Kent and donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Secunia PSI is way better in my opinion.
Thanks Fantasy. I use to have Secunia a long time ago. The reason I tried filehippo is because our #1 malware fighter recommended it.
Mr.TwinHeadedEagle!! I realize up dates are important.
Especially Adobe and Java.I have them to update automatic and they are good about up dating. I'm just wondering how important are the others in my list??

Reactions: Kent

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Just uncheck the 'show beta updates'. then u will know which applications need stable updates.

The Beta updates are beyond the stable updates, if u are planning to test the app and report then u may go ahead of downloading the beta updates also. My suggestion is ignore beta versions and use stand alone stable updates.
Thanks purshupro. I think that's good advise!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Appreciate ur comments, but for short comments MT have created a alternative, THE 'Like' button. Please make good use of it, instead of short comments.
The like button is fine, but I prefer a more warm thank you for members that reply to my threads.;)
I use both methods. You received a like from me.

Reactions: Kent and glasswitch

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
The like button is fine, but I prefer a more warm thank you for members that reply to my threads.;)
I use both methods. You received a like from me.
Well in that case i will not interrupt ur thoughts, but instead of just saying thanks, u are awesome, and other 1-3 word appreciation i would suggest the 'like' just in that case.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Patchmypc is also very good for important updates i have found.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All the software in your screenshot all have automatic updates, however, I am not sure about SpeedFan or Windows Live Mail (unless provided through WU).

Remember to uninstall the software you no longer use or require.

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
All the software in your screenshot all have automatic updates, however, I am not sure about SpeedFan or Windows Live Mail (unless provided through WU).

Remember to uninstall the software you no longer use or require.
OK Thanks I'll check out Speedfan and Windows Live mail. I've never seen Windows Live Mail up date.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Do you update your Windows frequently? (I.e., at least a week)
Hi ! If your talking to me,I have Windows set to update automatically. I also check my Reliability Monitor daily,which tells me about up dates and a lot of other information. I'm going to start a thread about the Reliability Monitor and how to use it.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Hi ! If your talking to me,I have Windows set to update automatically. I also check my Reliability Monitor daily,which tells me about up dates and a lot of other information. I'm going to start a thread about the Reliability Monitor and how to use it.
Please do. We'll be more than happy to assist you. :) Have you posted your config?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.