Guide | How To How I Recover Data From A Drive That Won't Start Windows!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Searching the forum, I didn't find a lot of information on this subject, so thought I would add some the ways I use to rescue data from a drive that won't boot windows. Please add your suggestions and the way you get data from a HD that won't boot!
Of course the easiest way is to remove the HD and install it in a working PC. If it's not completely toasted, you should be able to copy your data to a external drive. If you can see the drive in the BIOS, you should be able to recover your data. Be careful when recovering documents, as they may have been infected. If you can, scan them first with Malwarebytes. If you have the Pro version, you can right click on the doc and scan it.
I only have a lap top, so I have to use different methods. The cheapest way is to down load a Linux based OS like Puppy Love. It is alive CD that will allow you to boot into Linux and recover your data to a external Hard Drive. Linux uses RAM to operate, so A working HD is not needed. I think Linux will even boot without a HD. Please correct me if that's not true.I'll post the link that shows every thing you need to know about burning the ISO file and using the program.
Recover files from Windows hard disk using Puppy Linux | www.winhelp.us

Hi! You can also purchase a cheap docking cable and recover your data. There are several and you can find them on Amazon.
You can get docking stations, but they cost a little more. I prefer the cheap one. No need to explain; just hook it up to a USB port!
Here's what I use. Please post your suggestions and ideas!
upload_2014-12-7_11-7-51.png

Don't panic if you have data on a non-bootable drive; you can probably get off it if your HD will spin up. Of course the smart thing you should do right now is create a image of your OS.
Then you won't have to worry when you can't boot into windows. Even if your HD is toast you can install a brand new HD; at least the same size or larger and be back up and running just like the day you created the image. That is another story and I might post a thread about that later if Jack doesn't run me off.:):)Just kidding. I hope!!;);)

Hi I hope this is approved by the forum!
A little better explained than I did!;)
http://www.howtogeek.com/173067/how-to-recover-files-from-a-dead-computer/
More good reading!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive
You got me all fired up and ready to go! Now you'll have to unfire me!;)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/picking-up-the-pieces-after-a-computer-crash

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.