Guide | How To How Much Protection Is Enough?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Many members, mostly newbies, ask this question:
"How Much Protection Is Enough?"

In the olden times, an Antivirus was enough. That's it. Nowdays, probably not. Before, viruses were things that simply sent spam email to your inbox and caused havoc, like Peeves in Harry Potter. Nowdays they're like Voldemort, sneaking into people's computers and silently destroying them and locking them out.

So, now to the main question. The truth is, everybody needs different protection. For experts, Windows Defender and built-in security is enough. For reckless surfers, nothing is enough! If you're reckless you should have the answer on your right. No security can replace Common Sense (Antivirus 2015)! With that being said, all your AV should be companion to your common sense. Other words, AVs fill in space and overlap Common Sense antivirus, like ethanol in gas. But, can you run a car with only ethanol? Yes, but it's going to break down much earlier, just like your computer. Then, like a computer, you need to send it to repairs and pay more money.

With a finishing touch, you should choose your own amount of protection. If you can sniff out phishing, malicious links, spam, and be careful, MSE should be enough. If you're not good at those things but try, a full-fledged AV is good (Kaspersky, ESET, etc.). If you're reckless, fine tune your Common Sense before shopping for a huge security suite and bogs down your PC like crazy (and won't help either)!

But what about Linux and Mac? I've only used Ubuntu about a week so I can't say myself, but a quick and quiet AV with only minimal protection should be enough, like ClamAV. No need to pay for antivirus for Mac or Linux (I'm looking at you ESET :p).

That's it for today :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I agree 100%, with your above post. You can have the best, most secure PC/Laptop but if you are going to download unknown files and click any link you will get infected.

I'm currently using Kaspersky 2015 with CryptoPrevent Premium - do you think that's enough, or could I add/remove more?

Great post, it's great to get other people's opinions and ideas as one can then decide whether to keep to their current configuration, or change to something more secure.

Tony :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
"Linux and Mac". Should be "GNU/Linux and OS X", or "*nix and OS X" just saying, haha.

And the perfect protection will never exist (at least, not anytime soon) and a lot of people don't understand that yet. You can have the best protection setup in the world, but if you are the one opening the door to a malware, you'll still get infected and it will be on you, not on your protection software. A thing such as perfection doesn't exist in this world, the human isn't perfect, so how can he create something that is perfect ? Hence why the hackers, spreaders, etc. will always be a feet infront of the security experts. If the malwares and hacks weren't the best, there would be no IT Security domain or security researchers working days and nights to patch these vulnerabilities, create protection softwares, etc.

None the less, it's a good Common Sense reminder.

D

Deleted member 178

The security setup must fit your needs, if you never go to dodgy sites or open unknown files , the most simple sec soft will be enough, if like me you go visit the dark side , a strong setup is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

illumination

The only time you will see "enough protection" is to unplug your system, go out side, and enjoy nature.

This is the nature of the internet, and if one was to look at the beginning of the internet "time wise" and look at how it has progressed until now, they would realize it is a growing problem, that will not cease anytime soon. Common sense will carry you farther then any security product for sure, but common sense only works when the knowledge is available or known. New emerging threats take time to learn and cause damage in that time.

It is good to combine common sense with good security practices as well.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I'm currently using Kaspersky 2015 with CryptoPrevent Premium - do you think that's enough, or could I add/remove more?

Kaspersky 2015 doesn't need any additional software, especially not this CryptoPrevent stuff. It has multiple modules which protect your from crypto ransomware.

1. Trusted Applications Mode (TAM)
    = default deny / anti-execution. Crypto ransomware still requires the execution of new processes and/or dlls to encrypt your files. TAM will prevent their launch and hence the encryption.
  2. Automatic Exploit Prevention (AEP)
    = Unless you download and execute the ransomware intentionally, you'd rather have to be worried about when it comes in form of a drive-by attack; but even that is absolutely rare these days. AEP monitors the behavior of vulnerable applications and detects if they try to download and execute suspicious files. But nowadays you will hardly ever encounter a scenario where AEP will pop up, unless you deliberately keep your system and applications out-of-date.
  3. Application Control (HIPS)
    You can add folders or file-types as protected resources in Application Control and deny access to them by untrusted applications or all applications except a few white listed for that matter.
  4. Firewall
    Crypto ransomware still needs an active internet connection for its successful operation. You can set up the firewall to deny access or query the user in case a new untrusted application tries to access the internet; by default it will be allowed though, the configuration needs to be changed.
  5. System Watcher
    now includes rollback for encryption by ransomware, though I wouldn't rely on that one. There could be new ways of encrypting files which are not detected. For example CryptoGuard (HMP.Alert) didn't protect against Critoni. A great example of how specific crypto protection failed against exactly that, whereas all other ancient methods of protection (HIPS, anti-exe, etc) would have stopped it right from the start.
Anti-Keylogger, anti-crypto, etc. All snakeoil in my opinion.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I agree 100%, with your above post. You can have the best, most secure PC/Laptop but if you are going to download unknown files and click any link you will get infected.

Great post, it's great to get other people's opinions and ideas as one can then decide whether to keep to their current configuration, or change to something more secure.

Tony :)
Nothing, except for maybe an occasional scan with Malwarebytes. KIS is very strong. You could get rid of CryptoPrevent if you wish, but I would keep it there.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I'm a paranoid android who has blackhat adversaries very interested in compromising him (old grudges die hard :(), so for me, my various levels of protection are essential ;)

I've considered bolstering the physical security of my computer but so far, fitting a small GPS rig is all I've done, and that mostly theft protection.

My opinion remains unchanged however, there is no magic bullet solution, every user has different security needs, and the strongest security is also the most individual.

Reactions: Tony Cole
R

RevolutionSphere

Common Sense (Antivirus 2015) sounds like a pretty good AV, could I have the link to the offical website please.

Reactions: Malware1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.