Guide | How To How Much Protection Is Enough?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Cowpipe my trusted friend!

This is going to sound stupid, but what is a blackhat?

A blackhat is somebody who hacks for malicious purposes ;) Eg: The person who sets up a botnet to send out spam is a 'blackhat'. Then you have 'whitehats' which is somebody who hacks for 'good', eg: the researcher who hacks into the botnet server to shut it down would be a whitehat ;)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
A blackhat is somebody who hacks for malicious purposes ;) Eg: The person who sets up a botnet to send out spam is a 'blackhat'. Then you have 'whitehats' which is somebody who hacks for 'good', eg: the researcher who hacks into the botnet server to shut it down would be a whitehat ;)
Never knew you were once evil (hahahaha :D :p). But thanks anyways for going to the light side with us! :)

Reactions: Cowpipe
D

Deleted member 21043

Never knew you were once evil (hahahaha :D :p). But thanks anyways for going to the light side with us! :)
He's on the dark and light side. He enjoys being a black hat but he likes helping people as well but then he knows whitehat is better person. He's both :D

Reactions: Cowpipe

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you rely on Common Sense, then you'd know it's still 2014. So much for those mythical "Common Sense" as Security people talk about.

Unfortunately some don't know where to stop because they're so paranoid about the Internet.

I

illumination

If you rely on Common Sense, then you'd know it's still 2014. So much for those mythical "Common Sense" as Security people talk about.

Unfortunately some don't know where to stop because they're so paranoid about the Internet.
^^^ It is all a grand illusion, nothing to fear but fear itself... ;) :D

Just kidding, but you know i had too.. Although you are quite correct, in the last 5 years, it has not mattered what i have run on my system, i have not been infected. Most of this due to the fact that i "know NOT to click that" bad link when i see them, and question downloads to the point of forensic style. If one remains home on their own network, and know the systems are clean and uses common sense and a standard security, they will more then likely be fine. If like me, they travel, and hook up to all kinds of networks, never knowing what else is on it, then yeah, maybe the Paranoid way may be better for you :)

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
IMO for a normal user, a single daily updated AV is enough. Most of the time people get infected because they disable their AV to install that flashy looking software crack :p

*When it comes to security products, I'd rather believe in a piece of software than my common sense. Overconfidence is BAD.

Reactions: WinXPert

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
It still amazes me to see so many people in need for third party applications to secure their needs.
And what is even more funny is that additional tools MIGHT give you a bit of a boost security wise, yet a updated Windows, Good Internet Security suit, UAC, DEP, proper policy settings, limited user account and a bit of knowhow / common sense +hardware router FW seems to beat every single danger out there that you come across even when browsing dark pages.
I have yet to find a person within this setup that still gets infected/hacked.
I just do not see where additional software can increase your security, because within my humble opinion if you manage to screw up the above settings then i am pretty sure that you manage to screw up a fort knox computer that has no Internet connection and still you manage to get that nasty email worm LOOOOOL.
In all seriousness security and security add ons are a hyped thing, but lets be honest here what additional security are you going to get?
is this a cosmetic security? and the satisfactory feeling that you are in control? or is is to fill up the gabs between your computer understanding versus your habits? because if they are not in balance then you will get infected no matter what you do.
My point here is that everyone is free to install any software they like, and yes some setups i have seen here do make sense, yet i cannot help thinking that the setup above is simple, user friendly and more then enough.
Which leads me to think that most people read to much online magazines and to much "what if" blogs.
To many webpages state a exploit versus product X and a so called cure to avoid the exploit...
Great... as it works.

Question is what are the odds that you are going to be exploited by a browser exploit that was specifically made for a hackers event where they did a challenge to penetrate a browser? as a demonstration? or how about that vulnerability "some name" that targets ISS servers?

People only see: omg firefox is hacked Omg run hide, woman and children first.... WAIT ahhh a cure!?! ...downloading now...
problem fixed....

Uhhhmmm knock knock.. that little hack you just did prevent by downloading and installing 25 addons and 33 programs.... it was made for Linux....

You are a windows user right?
Ahh that makes sense...

Really? NO Lol
Most people do not read yet they only selective read what they 'want" to read.
Keep in mind these super exploits are not going to reach you.... and the odds that your pc is going to be part of a botnet is NILL afterall you would not install or run a program that has "youbecomeabot.exe" written all over it.

Alright another wall of text by me... forgive me...
But really i respect those add ons as some are really good, but if we are all honest here and if we are all just as good as we claim to be, then why on earth would you need those tools?

Or am i mistaken here? because on my own PC i got just 1 security solution running and the last time that i did have trouble was ....
i dunno... never? And while i usually do not browse crappy sites, i do on my work browse hundreds of crappy sites and find myself on some of the most dangerous websites around.... this due the very nature of my job.
And yet all these dangers do not seem to affect me, sure my work computers are as secure as fort Knox, but even my "play around" laptop which has only a Internet security package on it + the setup described above works brilliant, no malware not crap no nothing.
So my question is what am i doing right? or wrong? And why would i or anyone else need additional add ons.
Sorry if this looks like going off-topic or hijacking a topic, but i just wonder what makes you all download these add-ons and why if you take into consideration what i said before?

D

Deleted member 178

n.nvt said:

:D

in fact some noobies run a better system than some sec forum members because they just use a single product and don't screw the system , security forum members knows more than noobies but sometimes do worst than them because of :

PARANOIA

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

in fact some noobies run a better system than some sec forum members because they just use a single product and don't screw the system , security forum members knows more than noobies but sometimes do worst than them because of :

PARANOIA

Sure.
but thats not a reply to my question....:rolleyes:
I would like to know the rest to..:p

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I once setup a PC only with Threatfire and Windows Defender on a Limited User Account. Did it get any infections? Nope. The guy just uses it for Facebook, YM and Skype.

PARANOIA

Ok checking my security settings. Qihoo Protection mode still set at Performance. I'm doing good :)

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If one remains home on their own network, and know the systems are clean and uses common sense and a standard security, they will more then likely be fine. If like me, they travel, and hook up to all kinds of networks, never knowing what else is on it, then yeah, maybe the Paranoid way may be better for you :)

I understand and agree with taking a computer on your travels, but some are paranoid even on their home networks. For example: Opening Internet Explorer doesn't mean you'll get infected by a drive-by-download.

I

illumination

I understand and agree with taking a computer on your travels, but some are paranoid even on their home networks. For example: Opening Internet Explorer doesn't mean you'll get infected by a drive-by-download.
My post was in agreement with you completely.. It was also to offer an explanation of my set up's, and a basic "know" when to be more cautious.. :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Or encrypt your files to send - before the ransomware ..

This Tool Makes Encrypting Files As Easy As Locking Your Door : http://robsullivan.info/2014/08/this-tool-makes-encrypting-files-as-easy-as-locking-your-door/

- with this Chrome extension called Minilock:
'Encryption options like PGP are great, but the labyrinth of keys and passwords that look like a master’s thesis written in gibberish can be overwhelming. For simple exchanges, there’s now an easier way. A Chrome browser extension called Minilock is offering a simple encryption option for people who want to make sure the files they send are safe.
Minilock is as straightforward as opening your high school locker. After you install it for Chrome, you’ll get a 44-character user ID and make a password. It won’t let you use a shitty password. Since it’s supposed to be as easy as possible, the IDs are short enough to send to a friend in a tweet. To share, you drop the file into the Minilock software and enter your friends’ ID. Boom. Encrypted. They can now open it from their end. While you can only share one file at a time, you can send it to multiple friends.' .. ..

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
It still amazes me to see so many people in need for third party applications to secure their needs.
And what is even more funny is that additional tools MIGHT give you a bit of a boost security wise, yet a updated Windows, Good Internet Security suit, UAC, DEP, proper policy settings, limited user account and a bit of knowhow / common sense +hardware router FW seems to beat every single danger out there that you come across even when browsing dark pages.
I have yet to find a person within this setup that still gets infected/hacked.
I just do not see where additional software can increase your security, because within my humble opinion if you manage to screw up the above settings then i am pretty sure that you manage to screw up a fort knox computer that has no Internet connection and still you manage to get that nasty email worm LOOOOOL.
In all seriousness security and security add ons are a hyped thing, but lets be honest here what additional security are you going to get?
is this a cosmetic security? and the satisfactory feeling that you are in control? or is is to fill up the gabs between your computer understanding versus your habits? because if they are not in balance then you will get infected no matter what you do.
My point here is that everyone is free to install any software they like, and yes some setups i have seen here do make sense, yet i cannot help thinking that the setup above is simple, user friendly and more then enough.
Which leads me to think that most people read to much online magazines and to much "what if" blogs.
To many webpages state a exploit versus product X and a so called cure to avoid the exploit...
Great... as it works.

Question is what are the odds that you are going to be exploited by a browser exploit that was specifically made for a hackers event where they did a challenge to penetrate a browser? as a demonstration? or how about that vulnerability "some name" that targets ISS servers?

People only see: omg firefox is hacked Omg run hide, woman and children first.... WAIT ahhh a cure!?! ...downloading now...
problem fixed....

Uhhhmmm knock knock.. that little hack you just did prevent by downloading and installing 25 addons and 33 programs.... it was made for Linux....

You are a windows user right?
Ahh that makes sense...

Really? NO Lol
Most people do not read yet they only selective read what they 'want" to read.
Keep in mind these super exploits are not going to reach you.... and the odds that your pc is going to be part of a botnet is NILL afterall you would not install or run a program that has "youbecomeabot.exe" written all over it.

But really i respect those add ons as some are really good, but if we are all honest here and if we are all just as good as we claim to be, then why on earth would you need those tools?

Or am i mistaken here? because on my own PC i got just 1 security solution running and the last time that i did have trouble was ....
i dunno... never? And while i usually do not browse crappy sites, i do on my work browse hundreds of crappy sites and find myself on some of the most dangerous websites around.... this due the very nature of my job.
And yet all these dangers do not seem to affect me, sure my work computers are as secure as fort Knox, but even my "play around" laptop which has only a Internet security package on it + the setup described above works brilliant, no malware not crap no nothing.
So my question is what am i doing right? or wrong? And why would i or anyone else need additional add ons.
Sorry if this looks like going off-topic or hijacking a topic, but i just wonder what makes you all download these add-ons and why if you take into consideration what i said before?
Liked and +1

If you don't be cautious or be too cautious, both are bad for you. If you install tons of addons and software, what if one of them gets exploited? What if one was malicious? What if... what if...? Actually a basic setup with built-in security and a nice antivirus software + 1 or 2 addons would be better than either a person with nothing OR a person with a big, bloaty security suite and tons and tons of security. Remember, not the more the better nor the less, but striking the middle point.

Great @n.nvt ! You just saved me about 20 minutes of computer time by saying this! +1000 reputation :) :D

ArabianKnight

Oct 9, 2014
I used to have multiple AV's and my system would have a bunch of issues and run slow, I just use Comodo now and I have not had an issue for awhile now. Sometimes I forget it is there unless I am installing something and I get a popup window.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.