Advice Request How safe is private browsing?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sido1545

Thread author
Oct 7, 2015
Hello guys
I have a few questions:
1 - How safe is private browsing?
2 - Why extensions are disabled during it?
3 - If I am someone who like to block ads and who also like private browsing what are my others options besides uBlock?
Thank you

L

LabZero

Private browsing is a feature included in all major Web browsers, like Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer that lets you surf the Internet without leaving traces on the PC (or on your mobile device). This means that the addresses of sites visited do not appear in your history and are not stored on your PC information such as cookies, suggestions for searches or data entered in forms.

Should not be confused with anonymous browsing offered by systems like Tor or by proxies, which allow you to disguise your online identity by using the IP address of the computer: it would be a very serious mistake made at the expense of your privacy!

In PB – you need to know – your identity remains clearly visible, there is no type of protection: IP address who is outside knows exactly who we are and what we are visiting sites. The only protection is, as already mentioned, at the local level, where no traces are left navigation activities done online.

About ad blocking you can also try AdBlock plus.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Extensions in private browsing are disabled by default. But you can manually enable them.
The probable reason why they are disabled by default is that these extensions may collect data, thus defeating your intention of private browsing.

Anyway, I enable uBlock Origin and IDM extensions even in Private Browsing.

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Safe browsing is only good if you want to browse without cookies or any history, it will not in any way protect your IP address or location. You can consider that you would be logged out of all your other social media accounts and websites won't be able to trace your browsing habits.

However if you want to go fully anonymous you have to change your IP address, either mask it with a proxy or a VPN client. Both are good ways to appear that you are coming from another part of the world. This would also protect you from being snooped on from your company's wifi or your ISP.

Usually I disable all extensions when browsing privately, but I have activated several more useful extensions to make my browsing easier like ublock, ghostery and WOT.

Reactions: Av Gurus and XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How generally safe? Well its already 99.9% since majority of browser does not provide leaks of information that can be readable by any tool since it should not store any vital information.

Safari has a vulnerability for this and not sure if its totally fix from numerous patches.

Extensions are disabled prior for safety purpose but using the option to turn 'ON' does not provide any untoward incident in real time for possible leak information.

But totally the best way for that is make your browser under sandbox if going to any possible shady sites.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here you can see what information are visible.

Click here to start the full anonymity test and see all results.

My test: :D

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
If you only want private browsing for temp data, Ublock and any other add-on can run in private windows on Opera.

Idk if you can do the same in another browsers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1 - How safe is private browsing?
2 - Why extensions are disabled during it?
3 - If I am someone who like to block ads and who also like private browsing what are my others options besides uBlock?
Thank you

From my view point, there are very little differences between browsing Incognito and not.

Private browsing is neither safer or risky, than browsing as normal, as only the History, Cache and Cookies are not saved.

By default, Extensions and Add-ons are disabled, but can be enabled manually. Example of Permissions for an extension in Chrome.
upload_2015-10-7_16-39-15.png

Find out more:
Private Browsing in Firefox, Private Browsing - Use Firefox without saving history | Firefox Help
Incognito in Chrome, Browse in private with incognito mode - Chrome Help

You can use AdBlockers (ie. AdBlock Plus, AdBlock), Anti-Trackers (ie. Ghostery, Disconnect) and VPN software (ie. ZenMate, CyberGhost etc.) to browser more anonymously.

Like I said at the beginning, when using Private/Incognito, website x and y will know you visited them.

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.