Guide | How To How To: Block Ads

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Also I choose Adblocker Plus from above and I have no clue how to open it to add lists to it. I don't see an icon but it is enabled in add-ons. I working with Windows 8.1 and IE 11 with both desktop and immersive view being used. Thanks for help.

Try to enable the statusbar if you haven't already...

Then right click on the icon and choose settings. Good luck! :)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Hi everyone, Has anyone heard of Desktop AD, I think it's a part of Doubleclick, I'm not 100% sure, but it's just as intrusive has doubleclick. I'm someone has heard of it and knows how to block it. Also I choose Adblocker Plus from above and I have no clue how to open it to add lists to it. I don't see an icon but it is enabled in add-ons. I working with Windows 8.1 and IE 11 with both desktop and immersive view being used. Thanks for help. I almost forgot. Does installing google's permanent opt-out plug-in really stop google from cookie tracking and should the same be done at NAI website for other ad publishers?
Ok this is not just for this member but for everybody

For Chrome:

Navigate to chrome://extensions:

38rx7CD.png

Then click on "Show Icon" (this is not AdblockPlus but it will work for it too):

XpFp308.png

For IE:

Press the alt key

The click on view

Click on "Status Bar"
(Note: The image shows highlighted Favorites bar but the Status bar is what you want.
TDZMLf6.png

Note: Alternatively Right Click and select Status Bar.
For Firefox:

Click on the hamburger bar and click "Customize":

K25qT9W.png

Now drag the icon you want into the toolbar above:

jxaCKDK.png

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Caramello222

Verified
Nov 1, 2014
I need a little help. I changed my mind about Adblocker Plus and went with Hostman because it looks like it does more. I followed the supplied link to the site, I clicked download at the top of the screen, then I clicked the link under Available Download Mirrors hpHosts Online - Simple, Searchable & FREE!, then I clicked on hphosts.gt500.org, on that page there is a long list of filename links to download. I clicked on the first filename 'hpHosts-optimized-setup-Win32.exe'. Are the filenames listed on this page, the ones advised in the above article to download and add to Hostman?

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I need a little help. I changed my mind about Adblocker Plus and went with Hostman because it looks like it does more. I followed the supplied link to the site, I clicked download at the top of the screen, then I clicked the link under Available Download Mirrors hpHosts Online - Simple, Searchable & FREE!, then I clicked on hphosts.gt500.org, on that page there is a long list of filename links to download. I clicked on the first filename 'hpHosts-optimized-setup-Win32.exe'. Are the filenames listed on this page, the ones advised in the above article to download and add to Hostman?
Why is it an .exe file? Last time I checked I thought it was a .hosts file opened in notepad.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.