Guide | How To [How to] block all ads on ROOTED android devices

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you are annoyed by ads on your androids apps, so let's remove them in a very simple way:

NEED A ROOTED DEVICE, it is necessary to removed ads since ads blockers/patchers need to access the core files of Android.

1- download Adaway apk file on your computer
2- transfer the file on your Android device via Bluetooth or USB
3- install it and follow the procedure
4- reboot the device to be sure it is working properly

all ads should be removed

you have other methods like modifying the android hosts file with the MVPS one (i did it to avoid malicious websites as well)

note that adblockplus for android will not remove all of them but it can complement adfree

If you have a non-rooted phone (or rooted one too), Adguard For Android , is the best commercial app you can find , it will block ads in browser and applications , block suspicious sites and also include a Firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks Umbra,as long as it is Umbra approved I will give it a try :D

Does phone have to be rooted?

or Dropbox for Android,that is if you use it.The easiest way I move stuff from my PC to my Android device

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I downloaded the apk via maxthon cloud on my computer with autoupload so i got it via maxthon android ^^

Yes you need a rooted phone since it patch the hosts file

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I downloaded the apk via maxthon cloud on my computer with autoupload so i got it via maxthon android ^^

Yes you need a rooted phone since it patch the hosts file

Last edited:

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I still prefer AdAway to Adfree. :D
If you have an non-rooted Android device, go with adblock plus, but it only works for a WiFi connection.

kevbo

Level 1
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
you are annoyed by ads on your androids apps, so let's remove them in a very simple way:

NEED A ROOTED DEVICE, it is necessary to removed ads since ads blockers/patchers need to access the core files of Android.

1- download Adfree apk file on your computer
3- install it and follow the procedure
4- reboot the device to be sure it is working properly

all ads should be removed

you have other methods like modifying the android hosts file with the MVPS one (i did it to avoid malicious websites as well)

note that adblockplus for android will not remove all of them but it can complement adfree

Nice tip, will give it a go and let you know.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
You remember AirPush ads? what a massive annoyance they were, glad they're gone for good.
Spammy ads in the notification bar die this week as Google’s latest Play Store changes take effect
http://phandroid.com/2013/09/30/google-play-notification-ads-policy/

I had no choice but to use an ad blocker on my rooted Android as so many free apps come with built in ads that waste bandwidth out of my small mobile data plan, bandwidth I can't allow to get wasted by ads and I'm not always connected to wifi so that can't justify allowing ads to load.
Also those small banner ads at the bottom of the app take up screen space, more reason to get rid of them.

"Why not just buy the paid version and then you won't have ads."
No need kiddo, free applications do me just fine just like they do on the PC. Thanks.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks Umbra. I'm just switching to Android so this will come in useful.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
There is one more program for blocking ads but you need root.I don't wanna name it because that program is for cracking apps on android.If someone wants name send me pm.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
its buggy, it doesnt ask for root and keeps quitting cause it doesnt have root access.

i said in OP , you will need a rooted devices, read it again.

if you have rooted device , superuser should ask you to grant adfree the access; and you must allow unknown source apps to be installed (in Security tab)

kevbo

Level 1
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
and doesn't block ads in apps only in browsers

So to clarify for myself:

- AdAway only blocks ads in browers and only while on Wifi
- AdFree only blocks ads in apps, but in Wifi and data

Currently I'm using Android Firewall on a rooted GS3 (stock). I can selectively block/grant an app's access to Wifi and/or data. It works well for blocking ads in game apps, nearly all of which (for me at least) have no need of data or WiFi access. However, I prefer to control how non-gaming apps connect, usually resticting them to WiFi only, with some exceptions, but ads always come through when access is granted, which I find annoying.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

adfree blocks in browsers and apps on wifi (i did not tried on data since my simcard is not from the country i am now)

Reactions: kevbo

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

No, AdAway and AdFree both block ads in all apps while using WiFi and Data , but they require root access. The one that blocks ads only in browsers is Adblock Plus, but I am not sure if this is also the case when it has SuperUser access. :)

Reactions: kevbo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.