How to check if my hard drive is failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Is there a good program to check if my hard drive is failing? I do use HD tune at times. Right now
I have a hard drive that at times has a transfer rate of under 5 MB/sec but some scans are fine
at over 50 MB/sec.
But at times I have to try to start my computer a fews times before it starts and I have checked
for malware it is fine

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
thanks for all of your help I think this hard drive is running slow at times but in talking to the owners I believe the real problem is
that the room the computer is in can get down to about 45-50 degrees F which is too cold for it to start up at times. So they thought the computer was having trouble.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I used to have Crystal Disk but gave way to Hard Disk Sentinel Pro. Anyway, I always use my HDD's manufacturer's tool which is either Western Digital Data lifeguard diagnostics tool or SeaTools for DOS(Seagate). If it's still in warranty and somethings wrong with it you could always get a replacement free of charge( for Seagate they pay for everything including the shipping costs. WD you'll have to shoulder the shipping to the nearest depo station in you country --that was last time I had a replacement --2007).

SeaTools for DOS(Seagate)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Western Digital Data lifeguard diagnostics tool
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

I

illumination

Sometimes these programs can give you a false reading, it is better to use the "chkdsk" command or go to "My Computer" right click on main drive "Usually C" and click Properties. Choose the Tools tab and click "check now" there will be another window pop open with two options "Automatically fix file system errors", which will say "recommended" or the other option will be "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" after choosing one of these two, click start and allow the one you choose to run its full course, you may have to restart the machine after.

I would try one of these methods before resorting to a 3rd party software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.