Guide | How To How to check your recent Yahoo login activity

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you are not certain if your account may have been affected by this or not, you may want to check the recent Yahoo account login activity to verify this. Let me show you how you can do so:
  • Visit the official Yahoo website and make sure you are on the right site and not a phishing site.
  • If you are not logged in yet, click on the sign in link at the top right corner of the screen.
  • Enter your Yahoo account credentials on the next page and click sign in.
  • You should be redirected to the main Yahoo website again. This time, your name should be displayed at the top right indicating that you are logged in now.
  • Click on the name again and select account settings. This redirects you to your Yahoo Profile page.
  • Click on the account name at the top left and select Account Info.
  • You are asked to enter your password again.
  • Locate the sign-in and security group here and there the View your recent sign-in activity link. Click on that link.

Here you see the most recent sign ins to your account sorted by date. You also find the access type listed here, e.g. browser or Yahoo! Mail for Windows 8, the event and the country of origin of the request.

yahoo-recent-account-security-660x439.jpg

You can click on location to switch to IP addresses instead of country which you should to to make sure that only IP addresses associated with your Internet connection have been used to log in.

The country listing is the number one indicator that something may not be right with the account. If you notice a sign in from a country you do not live in for instance. The second indicator is the date and time, and the third the access type.

Source

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting.....I have a Yahoo account, but I don't use it anymore....

Now, I'm using a Gmail account, and awhile ago, I got an email from Google that looked like this one:

gmail_we_prevented_a_recent_suspicious_login_attempt_from_united_states.png

Needless to say that it was enough to scare me..... The next thing that I did was to change my password and scan for malware, as at I thought I might have a Zbot infection or something like that (paranoid here...) :)
The scan results came clean, and in the next few hours I have tried to find away to prevent this....... The solution? - 2-step verification

2-step verification on Gmail is awesome and if you are using Gmail, I highly recommend that you enable this feature!
How it works? When I login, I get a SMS from Google with a random number that I have to enter into a field...... I do get an option to "Trust this computer"... so I don't have to enter it every time... It's just an awesome feature!

So to get back on the subject, this log provided from Yahoo it's a good feature, however if you are a YMail user, I would recommend that you enable 2-step verification to really secure your account, instead of just checking some logs. Preventing is always better than fixing!!
On a separate note, Google also offers a log for your authentications , and you can find it in the lower right part of your screen.

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
And don't be a dummy like I was and think that Opera Turbo's proxy server was someone engaging in unauthorized access of my mail account. LOLOL:blush:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Currently still use Yahoo and I have to say I've not got hacked, which is good. That is one thing that every email service should have. Also you can also get it for MyBB.

android

Sep 24, 2013
interestingly, I received a warning like that a couple of years ago (on gmail) but it didn't say that they tried to block it, they were able to get in. I wish I would have done a screenshot of what it showed me.

cas

Dec 25, 2013
Nvm it wasn't hacked it was deactivated im really sad right now because i had 70 dollars of steam cash that i got on Christmas is there anyway i can get this account back or is it gone for good

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nvm it wasn't hacked it was deactivated im really sad right now because i had 70 dollars of steam cash that i got on Christmas is there anyway i can get this account back or is it gone for good
  1. On a desktop or laptop computer, sign in to your Yahoo account.
  2. Confirm your Yahoo ID and complete the CAPTCHA verification.
  3. Select Reactivate.
It may take up to 24 hours for your request to process. Any lost account data, like emails and contacts, cannot be recovered.

Recovery is not possible if:

• The account was deactivated due to a violation of the Terms.
  • The account was deleted due to inactivity (you must sign-in at least once every 12 months).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.