Guide | How To How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
One of the most irritating things about Windows is the context menu clutter that you have to deal with once you install a bunch of applications. It seems like every application is fighting for a piece of your context menu, and it’s not like you even use half of them.

Today we’ll explain where these menu items are hiding in your registry, how to disable them the geeky way, and an easier cleanup method for non-geeks as well.

Source: How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu

Not to say that having a context menu that take all the height of the screen is quite annoying.

Reactions: Kent

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing the guide link. :D

I only have [Take Ownership] and [7-Zip >]

Some programs provide a setting to show or hide context menu options.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Earth said:
I only have [Take Ownership] and [7-Zip >]

i have those two :D but also have others (CIS & EAM scan, Teracopy, etc...)

Some programs provide a setting to show or hide context menu options.

Yes , unfortunately not all of them

Reactions: Ink
P

Plexx

Thread author
I have used ShellMenuView in the past. Handy tool specially for a minimalistic user like me. Good share!

Back in the old days there was a tool which I cant remember the name, that was handy. If not mistaken, was the same tool to completely change the right click menu but my memory doesn't go that far back.

Perhaps was something from Aston Shell or one of the shell replacements I used. can't remember.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Run the Autoruns -- > Got to the Everything Tab in the Autoruns.

Run Autoruns now from Live.Sysinternals.com

Over there we need to check for ContextMenuHandlers...

Uncheck the one you want to Remove from your ContextMenu...

azflh1.jpg

Reactions: marzametal

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I don't know if you guys did notice this,however Ccleaner also comes with an option to remove the unwanted context menus.
It's easier,more user-friendly and should work in most cases so it's worth givinging it a try.. Open Cclenear -> Select Tools -> Select Startup tab -> Select Context Menu tab.

erEJZ.png

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Jack said:
I don't know if you guys did notice this,however Ccleaner also comes with an option to remove the unwanted context menus.
It's easier,more user-friendly and should work in most cases so it's worth givinging it a try.. Open Cclenear -> Select Tools -> Select Startup tab -> Select Context Menu tab.
Yesterday Earth give me a advice to use cclenear but due to my fulishnesh i can't understan actually what he want to say me its Context tab.
Thanx Jack & Earth :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Ccleaner is a basic context menu cleaner, the softs i mentioned goes deeper.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I tried many context-menu tools and always prefered Shellmenuview and ShellExView

I believe it was one of these two proggies that helped me get rid of the Acronis Recovery tab from Windows Explorer properties (right click a file, select Properties). Sooooo happy!

Question: Purely on cleaning stuff from a PC, how would Wise Care compare against PrivaZer? They both are comprehensive in cleaning. The only real difference I notice is Wise Care is more of an All-In-One, while PrivaZer is just a cleaner... thoughts?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I believe it was one of these two proggies that helped me get rid of the Acronis Recovery tab from Windows Explorer properties (right click a file, select Properties). Sooooo happy!

Question: Purely on cleaning stuff from a PC, how would Wise Care compare against PrivaZer? They both are comprehensive in cleaning. The only real difference I notice is Wise Care is more of an All-In-One, while PrivaZer is just a cleaner... thoughts?

There are those whom prefer Wise Care while others are fans of PrivaZer. I was discussing a fellow member's use of Wise Care tonight, and concern over removing HKeys. My opinion: CCleaner is popularly considered the safest proven multi-purpose tool that you can (imho) feel confident using daily.:)
..and as Jack illustrated above,:rolleyes: it also removes context menus!;):cool:

Edit:

@Marin Eres, as it was late (in my part of the world) I felt I hadn't addressed the context of your question fairly. So, before I slumber, my thought was to at least share something more which hopefully answers your very good question!:)

"...PrivaZer was pretty new and unknown to me so didn’t feature in the comparisons. Since then though I’ve adopted this excellent [relatively] new freeware as my default cleaning tool of choice and published two reviews: PrivaZer: PC cleanup & privacy tool and more recently PrivaZer 2 Released: Revisit this excellent cleaning & privacy tool."

The following linked article is from a couple years back, but I hope you'll enjoy it's comparisons enough to read more: http://www.davescomputertips.com/ccleaner-vs-privazer-which-is-more-effective/

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Is there a program that notifies you of changes to your context menus? Some programs when you install them will actually will actually remove from a context menu items you desired to have there. And getting them back may be a world of trouble; I never succeeded in getting Open With Enhanced back into my context menu.

I think I'm going to suggest to the WinPatrol developer that he add such notifications to its features.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.