Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi friends i recently installed windows xp sp3 on a preinstalled windows 7 machine. I was not getting the bios option of selecting different OS's. I used some methods to configure that menu, and now i am not able to boot to windows 7. I am getting an error

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

Can MT members help me fix this?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Did you try :
  • Using your Windows 7 installation disc, boot to the command prompt at startup.
  • Type in these comands below, and press enter after each one.
    • bootrec /FixMbr
    • bootrec /FixBoot
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd
  • Exit the command prompt and restart the computer.

Reactions: scot

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
If i got it correct you are able to boot into windows xp but there is no boot option for windows 7.

Install Easybcd.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

Start it

Select "Add new entry"
Under Operating systems-> Windows select
Select type "Windows vista/7/8"
Name it "Microsoft windows 7"

Select the Drive in which windows 7 is installed

EASYBCD WINDOWS 7_03-03-2015_20-39-54.jpg

Click "Add Entry"

EASYBCD WINDOWS 7_03-03-2015_20-40-01.jpg

Now you should get a boot entry for windows 7 along with windows xp

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I just tried the recovery. Now windows 7 is working and xp is showing error.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I just tried the recovery. Now windows 7 is working and xp is showing error.
The first thing we need to do is create a new partition on the Windows 7 machine. Luckily we can do it without any 3rd party software. To begin, click on Start and type either partition or disk management into the search box and at the top of the menu click on Create and format hard disk partitions.

439x504xsshot20100106203631.png.pagespeed.ic.jpkPDaYbFa.png

The Disk Management window opens, and from here we need to free up space on the (C:) drive Windows 7 is installed on. Right-click on the drive and select Shrink Volume.

639x654x2dual.png.pagespeed.ic.xA0EO_uuI-.png

A window pops up showing the drive is being queried for available space.

419x131x3dual.png.pagespeed.ic.By_E5ZgcSS.webp

Now enter the amount of space you want to shrink the volume. You’re shown the total size of the disk and the amount of size that is available to shrink. In this example we’re freeing up 40GB of space.

494x342x4dual.png.pagespeed.ic.68y6daQbQ4.png

After the process completes you’ll see the new Unallocated space. Right-click that and selectNew Simple Volume.

639x654x5dual.png.pagespeed.ic.qzuRipXnmY.png

The New Simple Volume Wizard launches which is a straight forward process. When you get to the Format Partition section, NTFS is selected by default as the file system and you can leave that as is. You might want to rename the Volume label something else like “XP Partition” so it’s easier to identify when installing XP. Also you’ll probably want to make sure to check Perform a Quick Format.

541x427x6dual.png.pagespeed.ic.32Ehc4EElJ.png

After the format is complete you will see the new volume as a healthy partition listed.

565x551x7dual.png.pagespeed.ic.BcEBH2HQcr.png

Now when you go into My Computer you’ll see the the new disk and notice that space has been taken away from the (C:) drive Windows 7 is installed on.

337x177x8dual.png.pagespeed.ic.3fx0lY1K_g.png

Install XP on the New Partition

Now that you know how to create a new partition on your Windows 7 machine, it’s time to install XP on it. Here we’re installing XP Professional on the new partition. Boot from the XP installation disk and start the install process.

601x423x10dual.png.pagespeed.ic.Q6KRBKDJmj.png

When it comes to choosing a partition, make sure you select the one you created using the steps above. In this example we made a 10GB partition for the XP install.

640x362x11dual.png.pagespeed.ic.yNOn0FUg4L.png

If the partition you created was already formatted as NTFS you can leave it, or you can choose the FAT file system if you want.

640x363x12dual.png.pagespeed.ic.pwtLVhCdQV.png

Basically you continue through as if you were doing a clean install on any hard drive.

594x425x13dual.png.pagespeed.ic.0HpLct7r6_.webp

Create Boot Loader

Once installation of XP is successful you can now go through and install the latest Microsoft Updates and drivers. You will undoubtedly notice that the machine is booting directly into XP at this time. This is due to XP writing it’s bootloader over Windows 7’s. To get both XP and Windows 7 as an option at the boot screen you can use the free utility EasyBCD 1.72 or their new 2.0 Beta.

599x519xsshot20100104230448.png.pagespeed.ic.h4pH6loDrn.png

After getting the bootloader back you should see both XP and Windows 7 as options in the Windows Boot Manager.

640x403x21dual.png.pagespeed.ic.tNG10y9a_9.png

Reactions: scot

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@BoraMurdar my partition is turned to logical drive. Does that affect any settings?
And also i'm using EasyBCD 2.2. How to configure that?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Yes it can. Boot files of all versions are the same.
@BoraMurdar , the product was with genuine windows 7 home basic, can i restore it the same way as it was before? Since i tried dualbooting and it was unsuccessful i want to make it to its first condition. Can i do it?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@BoraMurdar , the product was with genuine windows 7 home basic, can i restore it the same way as it was before? Since i tried dualbooting and it was unsuccessful i want to make it to its first condition. Can i do it?
Do you have a recovery partition (pre-partitioned with machine) and recovery boot disk/USB?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Do you have a recovery partition (pre-partitioned with machine) and recovery boot disk/USB?
Ya it has. But its not visible in "My computer", and it shows in "Disk management". So i reinstalled it it before several times before installing XP and then reinstalled it when i was getting errors with XP. When both 7 and XP were successful installed as fresh i tried configuring with EasyBCD as u had mentioned. But what was happening is that i used to get error when i tried to write new MBR for windows 7. So by the next time i restart the PC it shows NTLDR not found error and XP also doesn't boot properly.
Thanks.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Ya it has. But its not visible in "My computer", and it shows in "Disk management". So i reinstalled it it before several times before installing XP and then reinstalled it when i was getting errors with XP. When both 7 and XP were successful installed as fresh i tried configuring with EasyBCD as u had mentioned. But what was happening is that i used to get error when i tried to write new MBR for windows 7. So by the next time i restart the PC it shows NTLDR not found error and XP also doesn't boot properly.
Thanks.
Can you screenshot me your partitions in Disk Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.