Guide | How To How to configure Firefox to stop data leakage

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
This list aims to block core Firefox features which actively leak data to third-party services (as opposed to attempts of sites to track you or otherwise passively collect information). As it isn't always easy to draw a strict line, the most critical passive data faucets like WebRTC are also mentioned.

To disable specific functionality open about:config and change the value to false.

Google Safe Browsing

Leaks the browsing history to Google. Note that disabling Safe Browsing exposes you to a risk of not being stopped from visiting malicious or phishing sites.

browser.safebrowsing.enabled
browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled

Firefox stats collecting

Stability and performance reports.

datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled

Usage statistics.

toolkit.telemetry.enabled

Encrypted Media Extensions (DRM)

A binary plugin (closed-source) is shipped with Firefox since v38. It enables playback of encrypted media and lets you use e.g. Netflix without Microsoft Silverlight. To completely remove the plugin you would have to install an EME-free build of Firefox.

media.eme.enabled
media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled

Firefox Hello
Firefox connects to third-party (Telefonica) servers without asking for permission.

loop.enabled

Pocket integration
A third-party service for managing a reading list of articles.

browser.pocket.enabled

Search suggestions
Everything you type in the search box is sent to the search engine. Suggestions based on local history will still work.

browser.search.suggest.enabled

WebRTC
Leaks the real IP when using VPN/TOR. Description and demo

media.peerconnection.enabled

Geolocation

geo.enabled

Full Article

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Checked firefox. Everything is disabled, except -

Google safe browsing

I think they are alright.
I guess it's a trade-off between security and privacy. Like you I've kept Google Safe Browsing enabled because I'd rather be protected from malicious sites at the expense of a degree of privacy. I've made all the other changes the article suggests.

Reactions: shukla44

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.