Guide | How To How to Disable Your Webcam (and Why)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HowToGeek - http://www.howtogeek.com/210921/how-to-disable-your-webcam-and-why-you-should/

What Should I Do?
You should, no questions asked, disable or obscure your computer’s webcam. There is no good reason, especially in light of the numerous documented cases of webcam spying, to leave an insecure recording device permanently accessible and/or active on your computer.

Given the ease with which you can, in most cases, permanently disable or remove a webcam if you don’t use it (or use it infrequently) and the ease with which you can temporarily modify it to obscure the lens if you are a frequent webcam user, it makes little sense not to do so.

In the following sections we’ll highlight different methods (as well as their effectiveness, ease of use, and ease of reversibility) you can use to disable your webcam.
  • Unplug your USB webcam (physical disconnect external webcam)
  • Disable it in the BIOS
  • Disable it in the OS (via Device Manager)
  • Cover it up with free/paid solutions
Visit Source for more options.

L

LabZero

There is a type of malware named Webcamlogger which activate the webcams without turn on the LED and spy on the user by sending captured images on remote servers.
In other cases the Police malware turn on the LED of the webcam making believe the user to be spied even though in reality the webcam is not active.

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
I only use the webcam maybe once a week or every few weeks, so I don't need a perfectly convenient method, but I use a small band-aid and it works well. Cheap and the padded part keeps adhesive off the lens area. Most higher-quality band-aids (still cheap enough ;)) don't really leave much residue behind at all and are easy to quickly remove.

Glad to know this is still smart to do- I thought maybe modern webcams were no longer susceptible to this and was slacking lately...

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
I only use the webcam maybe once a week or every few weeks, so I don't need a perfectly convenient method, but I use a small band-aid and it works well. Cheap and the padded part keeps adhesive off the lens area. Most higher-quality band-aids (still cheap enough ;)) don't really leave much residue behind at all and are easy to quickly remove.

Glad to know this is still smart to do- I thought maybe modern webcams were no longer susceptible to this and was slacking lately...
Hey! don't apply the band-aid or duct tape as is, cut a little piece of plastic just to cover lens area up. This way no residue behind... ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

Thanks!
I've never had a reason (yet) to make use of my webcam, but now I've a practical use for all those little translucent bandages ...those forgotten ones that get left in the box.
Now it's done, & our electronic :eek:'cyclops' is now the blind pirate!!;):D

Last edited:

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Thanks!
I've never had a reason (yet) to make use of my webcam, but now I've a practical use for all those little translucent bandages ...those forgotten ones that get left in the box.
Now it's done, & our electronic :eek:'cyclops' is now the blind pirate!!;):D

Yes! Those never seem to have a place in any medical situation, but are perfect here! :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Just wear a disguise then no need for stickers and tape.

Regards Eck:)
Oh, this made me *laugh* a lot & heartily!!:D
..I suppose I could always use the stickers and tape to make my 'disguise', but the little band-aid seems to be working very well even when I am not!:p *looks up*:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Y

yigido

Or you can jsut use a paper with duct tape and cover it when you dont use it :D
%100 working.. thanks for the suggest. :D Best anti-webcamlogger that I used :D
GlWPhhV.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.