how to do registry and system cleaning in linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
What is Windows registry equivalent in linux and how do you clean the registry in linux.

How to do junk files cleaning in linux?

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
There is a program in Linux that is a equivalent to Ccleaner in Windows, it is called Bleachbit! If you run it as root you can remove even more stuff. But as a caution I would watch which boxes you tick as it could mess up your system if you're not sure what you're doing! :)

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
There is a program in Linux that is a equivalent to Ccleaner in Windows, it is called Bleachbit! If you run it as root you can remove even more stuff. But as a caution I would watch which boxes you tick as it could mess up your system if you're not sure what you're doing! :)
You have a good question. But what is the cleaning? In fact, the majority of Windows users do not clean it also never. Even the dust don't wipe , what else then to talk about.
Usual everyday user knows only the start and shut down button. How to open facebook and how to send message. That's all.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
So... is Bleachbit a worthy quality software with a comparably safe reliable track record for Linux that's also time tested & (most importantly) trusted as my system's friend with benefits, CCleaner?o_O

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
You have a good question. But what is the cleaning? In fact, the majority of Windows users do not clean it also never. Even the dust don't wipe , what else then to talk about.
Usual everyday user knows only the start and shut down button. How to open facebook and how to send message. That's all.

I see where you're coming from. I have to help my mother out daily with her computer. The majority don't have a clue what Ccleaner even is.

So... is Bleachbit a worthy quality software with a comparably safe reliable track record for Linux that's also time tested & (most importantly) trusted as my system's friend with benefits, CCleaner?o_O

Well I believe Bleachbit is open source as most Linux software is. It seems to be top notch and do it's job extremely well. I'm not sure of the reliability of it. In my experience I've never had it corrupt my install on me. I just know what to check and what not to cause it'll bork your install up. As long as you don't run as root you should be fine. If you run it as root then just be very careful what you check off.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I see where you're coming from. I have to help my mother out daily with her computer. The majority don't have a clue what Ccleaner even is.

Well I believe Bleachbit is open source as most Linux software is. It seems to be top notch and do it's job extremely well. I'm not sure of the reliability of it. In my experience I've never had it corrupt my install on me. I just know what to check and what not to cause it'll bork your install up. As long as you don't run as root you should be fine. If you run it as root then just be very careful what you check off.
I had wondered, following my introduction to lubuntu which was duel booted beside my now sleeping XP Giant, whether this kind of maintenance even existed. Thank you for sharing about Bleachbit!:):D I'll read up a bit more about it, then most assuredly add it as only my 2nd download (besides Chrome);) since having decided to follow the yellow brick lubuntu road.:p Btw, helping your mother is both priceless & honorable. With respect to you,:cool: I've a sense of the pride this must instill in her.:)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
First of all, Linux doesn't have registry. Second, why would you clean registry?
@TwinHeadedEagle, I shall certainly take your word for it since you are in a position of both trust & knowledge. Besides the fact Linux has no registry, do you recommended Bleachbit to clean accumulated temp files, cookies, & other items which could, in time, slow the performance of a Linux system similarly to Windows?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@TwinHeadedEagle, I shall certainly take your word for it since you are in a position of both trust & knowledge. Besides the fact Linux has no registry, do you recommended Bleachbit to clean accumulated temp files, cookies, & other items which could, in time, slow the performance of a Linux system similarly to Windows?
I also find Bleachbit to be a very good software. But as mentioned earlier, make sure you know what boxes are you checking before cleaning, you could mess up the system (especially if running as superuser!).

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Linux has different system comparing to Windows, and Linux practically cannot be slowed down in time. I do not know exactly Linux architecture, but you can google it. Many people agree that Windows registry is the most stupid thing ever made. But at the other side, there is no at all in cleaning registry. Just fairy tales.

But user asked about Linux, so I'll stay out of Windows.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I also find Bleachbit to be a very good software. But as mentioned earlier, make sure you know what boxes are you checking before cleaning, you could mess up the system (especially if running as superuser!).
@WinAndLinuxTutorials, thank your for chiming in encouragingly.:) I certainly have lots to learn like wondering whether I'd want to 'run as a superuser'!:p
Linux has different system comparing to Windows, and Linux practically cannot be slowed down in time. I do not know exactly Linux architecture, but you can google it. Many people agree that Windows registry is the most stupid thing ever made. But at the other side, there is no at all in cleaning registry. Just fairy tales.

But user asked about Linux, so I'll stay out of Windows.
@TwinHeadedEagle, I'm glad you pointed out some facts. I did do a search after I found BleachBit on Softpedia, but for Windows, and found a little history on Wikipedia.

BleachBit was first publicly released on 24 December 2008 for GNU/Linux systems.[2] The 0.2.1 release created some controversy[3] by suggesting GNU/Linux needed a registry cleaner.

Version 0.4.0 introduced CleanerML,[4] a standards-based markup language for writing new cleaners. On May 29, 2009, BleachBit version 0.5.0 added support for Windows XP, Vista, and 7.[5] On September 16, 2009, version 0.6.4 introduced command line support.[6]

BleachBit is available for download through its website and the repositories of many GNU/Linux distributions.

As of October 15, 2009, BleachBit was more active than 99.972% of projects on SourceForge,[7][citation needed] and according to the Ubuntu Popularity Contest[8] BleachBit was more popular than 93.44% of installed packages.

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BleachBit

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.