Latest Threads

1. Warning Welcome to MalwareTips.com, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!
  2. Emsisoft  Mobile Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com: Emsisoft Mobile Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for Emsisoft Mobile Security to protect your Android smartphone. We are giving away Emsisoft Mobile Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get an Emsisoft Mobile Security license key!

3. Zemana AntiLogger Unlimited GiveawayEXCLUSIVE: Zemana AntiLogger Giveaway

Get a free license key for Zemana AntiLogger. We are giving away 300 Zemana AntiLogger license keys for our awesome members!

Get a Zemana AntiLogger license key!

4.  NoVirusThanks EXE GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com : NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Giveaway

Get a free license key for NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro. We are giving away NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license keys for our awesome members!

Get a NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license key!

5. ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com:ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security. We are giving away ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get a ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license key!

6. Tip of the Day Many people think that 'formatting' a hard drive will wipe out all the data so it cannot be recovered
    Not so. To prevent the possibility of future recovery, use a third-party, low-level hard drive formatting tool, such as Killdisk (downloadable at no charge from www.killdisk.com) to overwrite data on the hard drive with a random sequence of 1's and 0's.

How to fix file disassociation on Win7/ Vista

Discussion in 'How-To Articles, Tips and Guides' started by Umbra Polaris, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Testing And Review Expert Staff Member

Issue:

this issue may happen after some malware hit you or after a system corruption, your shortcuts or executables open the image viewer (or another) instead of the programs concerned.

example: your programs shortcut has a different icon than usual, you click on Chrome.exe it open Image Viewer instead of Chrome.

in fact, the file association is disassociated.

How to fix (Windows 7):

1- Download the File Association Fixes : http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

2- Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3- Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

How to Fix (Win Vista)

1- Download the File Association Fixes : http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

2- Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3- Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.
  2. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator Staff Member

Fancy my luck that you posted this guide here. I was having trouble with .txt extension and wouldn't let me restore Notepad as the default program and kept opening with Regedit.
    I tried all the tricks I knew and no luck, It was driving me crackers.

Thanks to you I got it fixed. +R
  3. Umbra Polaris

Hehe you are welcome MrXidus, glad it helped you.
  4. Plexx

Plexx Guest

Thanks for the info umbra.

My friend got infected and I am at the moment using Teamviewer to fix his pc. This will come handy shortly!
  5. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

Pretty much basic when you're into repairing computers so it's easy-peasy for me. Good try in your behalf.
  6. Umbra Polaris

Yes but if you know how much people get annoyed by this kind of issues and just reformat...