Guide | How To How to fix file disassociation on Win7/ Vista

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Issue:

this issue may happen after some malware hit you or after a system corruption, your shortcuts or executables open the image viewer (or another) instead of the programs concerned.

example: your programs shortcut has a different icon than usual, you click on Chrome.exe it open Image Viewer instead of Chrome.

in fact, the file association is disassociated.

How to fix (Windows 7):

1- Download the File Association Fixes : http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

2- Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3- Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

How to Fix (Win Vista)

1- Download the File Association Fixes : http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

2- Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3- Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Fancy my luck that you posted this guide here. I was having trouble with .txt extension and wouldn't let me restore Notepad as the default program and kept opening with Regedit.
I tried all the tricks I knew and no luck, It was driving me crackers.

Thanks to you I got it fixed. +R

P

Plexx

Thread author
Thanks for the info umbra.

My friend got infected and I am at the moment using Teamviewer to fix his pc. This will come handy shortly!

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Pretty much basic when you're into repairing computers so it's easy-peasy for me. Good try in your behalf.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Pretty much basic when you're into repairing computers so it's easy-peasy for me. Good try in your behalf.

Yes but if you know how much people get annoyed by this kind of issues and just reformat...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.