Guide | How To How to increase responsiveness of your Windows system

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
With time your Windows system loose its fast responsiveness, and start to slowdown or even crawl.

There is my few tips to keep it responsive.

Startup entries

Some developers like to add startup processes to their softwares with good reasons but sometimes it is not worth the shot.
Do you need your Video/Audio player, Phone apps, graphic soft to start with windows? surely not !

So you must disable them from the startup, you have many tools to do it, but i will choose the simplest ones

1- Msconfig.exe

Go to start menu -> click on "run..." -> type msconfig -> startup tab -> uncheck the entries of applications you don't need to start with windows.

2- Ccleaner

This very effective software is not only good at cleaning your system fro junk files and old registry's entries but also it help to delete useless startup entries

open it, go to "Tools" -> Startup -> uncheck the unwanted entries

3- Wise Care 365

This free soft can be installed or be used as portable.

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Startup Manager -> let it populated the list -> turn off the non-essentials entries that slow down the boot (depending your taste and suggestions given by the soft)

Services

Windows is made to be easy to use and focus on a large types of users, unfortunately if you are not a "mediavore" or "remote controller" kind of user, many services will be useless to you. so you can set them on "manual " or simply disable them.

Be sure to understand what you will disable, some services have redundancies that may affect your normal use of Windows

Again you have many ways and tools to do it.

1- Services.msc

the built-in services monitor, you can tweak it using Black Viper services configuration guide

2- SMART
: A portable apps that have some pre-configured setting

3- Advanced Win Service Manager
: It show the services and indicate if some of them are suspicious or even dangerous

4- Wise Care 365:

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Startup Manager -> Services -> let it populated the list -> turn off the non-essentials entries that slow down the boot (depending your taste and suggestions given by the soft)

Contextual Menu

Again softwares like to put some entries to your contextual menu that slowdown its appearance and make it messy

you have many ways to reduce it, there is a good guide with 2 very useful tools

How to Clean Up Your Messy Windows Context Menu

Malwares

Malwares are quite known responsible for make your system crawling, be sure to visit safe websites and use a security solutions (AVs, sandboxing, etc..)

Antivirus

As malwares will cripple your system you must use an Antivirus or other security application to be safe from them, unfortunately some are heavy on your resources, be sure to take a light one.
Remember that using 2 or more AVs in same time will make reduce your security, create issues & conflicts and of course slowdown your system (unless they are complementary)

Here you will find a good thread about light AVs/Suites :

Which is the lightest antivirus/security suite you used in last 6 months?

Responsiveness tools

i have those tool in mind, some others surely exist.

Process Lasso allows you to monitor the responsiveness of your system, CPU,RAM, etc... usage. Use it with cautions

Soluto will check which apps slow you down, just follow the steps. Tips: since Soluto slow the boot time for its scanning, use it only one time, write down the faulty apps, then uninstall Soluto.

Wise Care 365

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> System Optimizer-> Tick the entries you want .

Registry Defrag tools

This is a controversial topic, some says that defragmenting the registry aford nothing to the speed when others says it does, anyway if you want to try there some tools:

Wise Care 365:

open it, go to "System Tuneup" tab -> Registry Defrag -> Run it

That is all i can think about, i will update the thread if i find new tweaks.

Thanks for reading ! :D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
1) For all on all in one I recommend Tune Up utilitites. You can get its 2011 version free of cost. Just google about it. I also recommend Glary Utilities.

2)You can use CC Cleaner but be sure to add CC enhancer. Please do not try Recuva though. I had bad experience with it as it corrupted my USB.

3) Other way to speed up your system is adjust your anti viruses settings as per your safety needs. If you are a very safe surfer and use a sandbox u can keep your av at recommended settings which reduce pc consumption. Also disable components you dont need. Suppose you dont use desktop mail disable anti spam.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
what i don't like on Tuneup is that it add a service where other free tuning softwares are totally portable

Reactions: BoraMurdar

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
It does not consume much. Umbra there is a reason why it has to be installed and has a service. It needs to have it as it increases and decreases priorities of applications in realtime and also disables some apps until its needed to run and disables them again after running. Thats why tuneup is great and miles ahead of just normal cleaners. Umbra take it for a spin for a few days.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I know the purpose of the service, i used it heavily before, it was one of my main tuning apps, but i prefer to do things manually now, by terminating/triming down the resource usage of the process when i don't need it anymore.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Soluto has improved so much since last I used it, it's also avail. in the Windows Store.

It uses Ninite to remotely install apps and monitor performance etc. on up to 5 PCs for free.

I've added Soluto to my laptop, so I'll be testing it out for a good while. :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Give us the feedback ^^ i hope they decrease its boot-time

P

Plexx

Thread author
I have been staring at Black Viper's tweaks and I don't even know where to start.
Last time I attempted doing something fully manually, an image restored followed shortly after.

I am curious to see the services that SMART disables under tweaked settings.

Guess I will have to find out the hard way. VM here I come.

Edit: Perhaps I no longer need to run GameBooster.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I suggest to use the Black Viper's tweaks, you will learn what each services does and after you will be able to do by memory.
SMART is the easy way but obscure way.

P

Plexx

Thread author
I think I will do that when I remove again the Dell software that came along with it.
Still some tools that are handy for a lazy guy:p

I'll have a read again at Black Viper's tweaks and try it out on an image of my OS.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
edit: added "Advanced Win Service Manager" to the Service Chapter.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
A good defrag as well, many programs that can do it, I personally use auslogics for spinners which has really decreased since ssd's have become pretty affordable. Also this goes towards the msconfig, I uncheck all program updates since they just consume resources and bandwith and do a manual check each week.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I check what each service does and then turn them off. Like remote registery and crytography is turned off on my pc. Forgot to mention I have disabled print spooler too. People who do not have a printer can disable print spooler services from services.msc list. Also people without fax machine can disable the fax service.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
nothing more you need just 5 steps
1.... clean temp files by typing %temp% in 'run' box and delete all temp files.
2.... make disc clean
3.... download ccleaner and ccenhencer (both are free)
4... clean with ccleaner and registry clean
5... defrag with either puran,iobit or auslogic defrag.

Thats all

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Those steps just lighten the system's weight by removing junk files and old useless registry keys, they don't speed up or restore the original responsiveness/boot time, it is why i don't include them in my guide.

Of course every users should do them as part of the maintenance procedure.

P

Plexx

Thread author
For registry defrag, I prefer QuickSys Regdefrag. But the tool umbra posted is also good.

personal choice.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Biozfear said:
For registry defrag, I prefer QuickSys Regdefrag. But the tool umbra posted is also good.

so many tools available :D will add it to the guide.

edit: the developer site seems to have disappeared.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.