Guide | How To How to know if a download contains PUP's

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! I'm going to try to keep members safe from Down Load Managers that install PUP's on your PC even though you opt out of them. I could use some help on this.

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

The term was created by McAfee, the Internet Security company, because marketing firms objected to having their products called "spyware": in the view of such firms, all the information necessary for informed consent is included in the download agreement. It is widely recognized, however, that many if not most users fail to read a download agreement in sufficient detail to understand exactly what they are downloading.

Attached are two examples of down loads. I believe one to be safe and one might not be safe.The first down load may not be safe. The second is trusted and is safe. I will add to these examples when I find better examples. Please notice how the safe down load shows the software (CCsetup) followed by exe. That is a excellent way to tell if the down load contains PUP's The in doubt one does not show exe. It shows msi, and that alerts me not to use that down load! That is one way I tell! There are other ways you can tell. I would appreciate help from all MT members on this topic.
Capture48.JPG

Capture49.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and MrXidus

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Here is a down load of Speedfan and I personally don't like the looks of it and I would avoid it and look for a better down load! Notice the softonic down loader!
Capture48.JPG

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! This isn't easy, but I'm trying! I would trust this down load not to install PUP's on me!! Sorry for the full images,but I want you to be able to see. This install is from the authors site. Notice again it is followed by .exe Simple and to the point. No mention of a downloader!
Capture48.JPG

Reactions: Kent

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Agreed! There is a subtle yet clearly visible inconsistency where the suspect "pup laden" download leaves a space between the first letters of it's name :eek:"C Cleaner"! CCleaner users would recognize this as unusual.o_O
I have also read warnings here about softonic. Also, when loading a new software it's also a good practice to choose "advanced" or "custom" installation.
"Default" installations can already have items such as tool bars or changing one's home page included (many may be familiar with Adobe's McAffy/Google options.)

Hm... my friend, donetao, and I were discussing the down-loader for Macrium Reflect recently. Since I installed while in Shadow Defender's "Shadow Mode" my main concern was whether I'd lose the program. Maybe I lost the down-loader!:D

Update: Recently, I'd downloaded, and used, Bit Torrent. Before installing, I'd scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-malware which found 2 (..or was it 3?) instances of something that sounded like :eek:"Wrapped Candy".
Update: The name is actually "Open Candy", and even though I like candy, these are bad,:oops: and much worse when taken out of their wrappers, lol!!:D Btw, thanks @Callender for helping me remember what not to open.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! Here is a down load for speedfan from CNET. One of the biggest companies known to use Down Load Managers for $$$$$
Run from these kinds of Down loads as fast as you can!
Capture48.JPG

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks fellow MT members. All good stuff about how to spot these --------- Thanks for your help and support on this.
If we can prevent one member from these creeps, then I will feel good about this thread!
Don't down load any thing from CNET!!!!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
You can also use Unchecky to install a program that is bundled with PUPS or Downloaded though the download manager that CNET and some other sites use. It basically unchecks any offers the installer, so you don't have to keep clicking "accept or decline". If you don't already got the program I'd recommend you go check it out. You can't rely on this to do all of the work for you, but it does most of the work. I would double check and then continue when using this just to be sure it's doing its job. I know this is going to be sad, but you can download programs on CNET without getting PUPS with unchecky installed.

Here is a picture from unchecky's it explains what it does without reading a lot of text.

FhHgvTS.png

Last edited:
Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
WOW Thanks Fantasy. Was not aware of that software! That sure would stop them. I'm going to give it a look!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
WOW Thanks Fantasy. Was not aware of that software!
By the way you should also click "direct download link" whenever you download something from CNET. The first thing I saw when I visited that page was "Installer Enabled" which is something that bundles lots of unwanted programs that can potentially mess up your system.

wiKmV0l.png

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Fantasy ! Good point. The problem is that a lot of computer owners don't know they should do that and they click on the bad one.
Thanks for your reply! My suggestion is to not use CNET;)

Reactions: Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Hi Fantasy ! Good point. The problem is that a lot of computer owners don't know they should do that and they click on the bad one.
Thanks for your reply!

Well, I don't know why someone would to download software from other sources rather than the original. It would be best if everyone downloaded the software from its original source.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Well, I don't know why someone would to download software from other sources rather than the original. It would be best if everyone downloaded the software from its original source.

They would down load from another sources because they don't have the knowledge and experience they we have learned.
I agree it's always best to look for the author's down load. Also us old people use to trust CNET before they got hungry for $$$$$.
It will only get worse my friend and we have to stay on our toes and use help forums like MT to warn people about these things.;)

ZypKode

Level 1
Verified
Aug 7, 2014
By the way you should also click "direct download link" whenever you download something from CNET. The first thing I saw when I visited that page was "Installer Enabled" which is something that bundles lots of unwanted programs that can potentially mess up your system.

wiKmV0l.png
Thanks for bringing this up.I never noticed this.

Reactions: Oxygen

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks all MT members for your input on this topic. I'm going just a little off topic. Should be OK this one time sense I started the thread.
A senior just brought me a big plate of no bake cookies for a computer I fixed a week ago.
I never take money, but I can't refuse;):) goodies that seniors bring me for helping them with their printers and computers

Reactions: Kent and Oxygen

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Baixaki, Superdownloads and others... download sites of my region include Pup's in their installers, do not like this policy of download in most of site. A newbie ends downloading antivirus with virus and ends if infecting.

M9Kpkgx.jpg

The picture circled in red you have two options to download this site:

with installer or without installer both comes with pup's embedded.

Reactions: donetao

Callender

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2014
Scan downloads for PUP's

Here's my methods:

Scan download links before actually downloading the files using Dr Web Link Checker

Once you've installed the browser add on just right click any download link to see what you're going to download!

Next method:

Install PE Studio

Drag any downloaded executable files onto the program's desktop icon to get a scan report that should flag up any issues.

If I ever get caught out by a PUP that comes bundled with an installer I reinstall and monitor processes to get the PUP installer executable names then block them in the registry using Image File Execution Options then remove the offending software and toolbar and clean install it. The registry entries will block the PUP and allow clean installation.

ا

الشمس

Please notice how the safe down load shows the software (CCsetup) followed by exe. That is a excellent way to tell if the down load contains PUP's The in doubt one does not show exe. It shows msi, and that alerts me not to use that down load! That is one way I tell!

am i to understand that applications with .msi instead of .exe contain p.u.p.s :eek:

Callender

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2014
The "in doubt one does not show exe." It shows msi, and that alerts me not to use that down load! That is one way I tell!

Stating that safe downloads are .exe files is not helpful in my opinion!

See KMPlayer.exe download (comes bundled with Open Candy)

KMPlayer.jpg

As for Ccleaner - it comes bundled with a toolbar unless you download the LITE version that's typically released a few days after the updated regular version.

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! I down loaded KMPlayer. I got this; which I believe to be a good down load. It looks the same as the above but there aren't any PUP's
The best solution is to down load from the author of the program! This down load is from the author!Capture48.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.