How to Make a TV Antenna with a Potato

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Just sharing this little info with you guys, please don't get mad at me:D
Steps
1. Purchase a Potato. Any variety will work, but choose medium or large-sized one. Wash it to remove any dirt and dry thoroughly before using.
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_1.jpg

2. Choose an appropriate length of aerial lead (the cable that attaches the TV to the antenna or, in this case, potato). Between 3' and 6' should be more than enough.
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_2.jpg

3. Attach the aerial lead to the Potato. The pin inside the tip of the lead is the only part that should be pressed into the Potato. Take care not to break or bend the tip.
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_3_2.jpg

(For a coaxial TV cable, only the inside pin needs to go into the potato. The metal casing should be pressed into the skin to help secure it.)
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_3.jpg

4. Use a length of electrical tape to secure the lead to the potato so it does not become dislodged.
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_4.jpg

5. Plug the other end of the aerial lead into the back of your television
550px_Make_a_TV_Antenna_with_a_Potato_5.jpg

Thanks for reading this :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Where should the potato be placed, behind the TV or above?

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
For digital reception will we need to cut the potato into chips and mount them horizontally using cocktail sticks ?

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Earth said:
Where should the potato be placed, behind the TV or above?
Where your other tv antenna is placed.
I've tried this myself and i am getting crystal clear picture!
I was getting low quality picture and less pixels with my BIG Antenna(with four legs) for TV.

try this if you are not getting clear picture from your tv antenna

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Detection said:
For digital reception will we need to cut the potato into chips and mount them horizontally using cocktail sticks ?
No need for that :)

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
MalwareDoctor said:
How often does the potato need to be replaced? :D
I just tried it today :)
Will let you know when my potato will expire :p

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
You can also make a simple TV aerial antenna by using a coat hanger attached to a cable with electrical tape.
Capture.png

Note:
The potato antenna is a fun experiment but will most likely not provide the best TV reception.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Potatoes are loaded with K, which is an electrolyte, so maybe this has something to do with great success?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I know that in soil that macronutrients such as K, and Calcium are good to balance PH and even make the soil very alkaline if desired. The more alkaline the soild gets, the more positively charged it is, and the more acid a soil is, the more negatively charged the ions are.

When it comes to heart rhythm in humans, K, Calcium, sodium, bicarbonate, magnesium, chloride and selenium are crucial. It keeps the electrical charges, that time and trigger the heart muscle, regular. Maybe the same thing is achieved when radio wave reception replaces the heart firing nodes.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm sure for all those potato eaters that have so many, it's a good way to use a potato. :p

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
McLovin said:
I'm sure for all those potato eaters that have so many, it's a good way to use a potato. :p

But to not like to eat potatoes is actually better, because if potato eaters have a low percentage of potato in the city they are in :)P) they may use the eatable antenna. :D

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Did you ever replace the potato?

No. There was a storm in our City and after the storm i went to the roof to see the condition of my sweet potato :p and then Potato was gone(don't know where) :(

DrBeenGolfing said:
What does the reception look like when potato is in the microwave?

Didn't tried yet ;)

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
Oh no.... Potato.Antenna.Version.2013.Beta1 is damaged due to strom, , developer Imran surely correct this BUG, and going to release Strom.Proof.Beta2 Version 8)

No offense Please , just kidding, surely its a innovative idea, never heard of such thing...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have never used a potato as an antenna before, but I have used wired clothes hangers with aluminum foil wrapped around the end. Of coarse it was for my radio, I never could pick up any TV channels with an antenna in my area (I'm in a valley), you have to have cable or satellite here.

Thanks.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.