How to make ubuntu secure ?

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
My question is how to secure linux (antivirus (clamav),firewall(ufw) and other)?
Thanks !

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
1. Install ubuntu
2.Install common sense 2015
3. ??????
4.Profit

Just kidding you dont need anything just be carefull with phishing websites when on the internet.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Ok but I use Windows in dualboot and I think it's dangerous to let linux in the place !
You forget to UPDATE !!!!!! in linux it's very important !

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
Copy and paste this command in the terminal , so whenever you start ubuntu will do with the firewall enabled .

sudo ufw enable

Upgrade the system whenever required .

That's it . If you want Comodo has made an AV for Linux , you also have Clam AV . Put them is like filling a basket of water, something really unnecessary

However , you can put your browser the same extensions like in windows

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Ok but I use Windows in dualboot and I think it's dangerous to let linux in the place !
You forget to UPDATE !!!!!! in linux it's very important !
why? The chance of getting infected with a linux virus is like 0.01%. Update yes its importante to add stability and patch exploit but thats it. About the firewall most routers have a firewall integrated

Reactions: jamescv7 and Ink
D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
I avoid Linux questions since my experience is with Windows, I rarely use Linux... But,

If you'd like, you can get ESET for Linux; however it costs money, just like the Windows version.
You can read more about ESET for Linux Desktop here: http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/antivirus-linux/

If you want a free Linux AV, as @Sr. Normal mentioned, Comodo have a free Antivirus product for Linux.
You can read more about Comodo Antivirus for Linux here: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php

[I recommend trusting either ESET or Comodo to secure your Linux OS over ClamAV].

Using either ESET or Comodo would keep you more secured whilst using Linux. Most people claim Linux to be "safe", however it isn't as safe as people make out... Always keep it updated. Updates may not just provide bug fixes but patch up exploits which are made to target users. If you become a target of the exploit and have not got the patch update, then you may be out of luck.

I recommend using extensions on your browser such as: (of course browsers like Internet Explorer won't be on Linux... But I added to the "Supported on:" anyway if it was supported for that extension).

- HTTPS Everywhere (supported on: Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Firefox for Android)
- WOT (Web of Trust) (supported on: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and for other browsers look into the "Bookmarklet" option for WOT).

I recommend the above extensions if the browser is supported for both Windows and Linux systems.*

You can even install a Virtual Machine on your Linux host. In the VM, you can test programs before executing them just to be safe that it isn't an exploit for Linux (and of course if you wanted to access Windows and have the privelege of using a snapshot say the VM became infected...).

Remember that no product no matter what OS you are on will protect you 100%. Everything can have a vulnerability in it (nothing is full proof), and the best product is yourself. Depending on the websites you visit, what you download,... Will depend on if you are "safe" or not. Should you not visit untrusted and risky websites and only run things you downloaded which you know are 100% safe, you are better secured by someone who is doing the opposite thinking they are protected because people say Linux is secure and because they have an AV running on it.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
An Antivirus isn't required for Linux.

Keep your OS & software updated.
Enable or Install any recommended Firewall software.
Use a modern browser, ie. Chrome, which has built in security and privacy features.

Don't run untrusted or unknown command lines, aka, don't be an idiot.

Your Windows OS should already be using it's own Antivirus software.

I

illumination

Thread author
As others mentioned, turning on UFW is a simple command away. Do not download other applications other then from the repositories, keep the system up to date, and you shall be fine. If transferring documents, pictures ect from the linux over to the windows, you may want to think about a usb scanning AV or application for your windows machine to make sure you have not indeed transferred something over from Linux. There are around 48 pieces of malware in the world coded to run on Linux, these require root access to run on your system, which ubuntu by default does not have enabled.

If by chance a piece of windows malware gets on the system, it is not an issue either, as it will not execute.

SO basically just use common sense, read up a little, and you will be fine. :)

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Speaking of security,has someone been infected by any Crypto Variant in Ubuntu(of any Linux Distro,for that matter)?

The one I managed to delete last week came for an executable file and not from a browser attack.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How to make Ubuntu secure?

Well very simple, we all know that Linux part is one to be most secured OS environment so far; not because if there's vulnerabilities occurred and a fix is underway but due to audience/users use it and more on development purpose; unlike the most common use OS (Windows) it holds all the percentages which combines the risk of security.

So Firewall at default should be fine, when going to infected sites then no harm to add adblocker and siteadvisor/community ratings/link scanner caused majority are Windows based executables.

You cannot encounter easily a Linux Malware in just simply browsing because the numbers in the wild list is very small.

However running WINE Emulator in Linux to run Windows viruses can be possible but only infect when running emulator itself only.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/562388/do-wine-viruses-only-work-while-wine-is-running

As mentioned about Virtual Machine, for me that's the best way to conduct testing caused even Windows virus/malware jump through host, it cannot easily infect as possible due to OS environment.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.