Guide | How To How to protect yourself from "phishing"

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Phishing as a concept – scammy electronic communications trying to steal personal data and passwords – has been around for nearly 20 years, but people still regularly fall victim to it.

In June 2013, security firm Kaspersky Lab estimated that 37.3m people had encountered phishing attacks in the last year, including more than 1m people in the UK alone. Symantec, meanwhile, estimates thatphishing accounted for one in 392 emails per day in 2013.

Phishing is all about convincing you to divulge information that could help criminals steal your money and/or install malware on your computer, potentially also selling your passwords on to others.

It works by impersonating communications from companies that you trust: banks, online payment firms like PayPal, social networks, online retailers and other technology companies, as well as government bodies (tax authorities, for example). According to Symantec, 71% of phishing attacks in 2013 were related to financial organisations.

A lot of phishing attacks are fended off without you ever seeing them, thanks to the spam filters used by companies and webmail providers. But for those that make it through to your inbox, there are some common-sense tips to ensure you don't fall victim.

Source

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks!:) I read this aloud to instruct my already cautious & patient wife.

Over twenty years ago, my son (..& wife) invited me to join a free children's site called neopets http://www.neopets.com/ which featured flash games. Virtual points are earned, and these are used to purchase imaginary food, drink, and fun interactive things like books or toys. There is even a bank account where your imaginary points can be safely deposited earning gradually higher interest when you amass more points. I'm smiling as it just occurred to me that it was here where I first witnessed an instance of two step security verification!:D Anyway, I'd learned first hand about phishing on that site after falling victim to someone pretending to be an interested friend whom asked about the name of one of my adorable cats whose name (coincidentally) happened to be my then password.:oops: I suppose this was probably the very best way by learning the hard way about phishing Technics which lost only my imaginary points, and further helped me to become more realistic while at the same time also just a bit more paranoid!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Its highly advisable in today's scenario to "control the greed to get something for free" Be it free software's, online storages, free cash left behind by unknown grand father or a friend or may be central bank of the country has announced a lottery in our name.:p Remember there is noting as free.!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.