Solved How to remove duplicate files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon67

Thread author
Feb 18, 2014
Hi guys

Can Anyone suggest me what is best solution to find and remove duplicate files.?

one if my friend suggest me DuplicateFilesDeleter, Is he right?

Reactions: Koroke San

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
You know, these are so many ways, that whole this forum could full write of them. And certainly, there are also a number of already installed on your computer.
Find out, what You have already installed and for the end - You need by Yourself to decide what to do and how to do it. The programs can only help you to find only some duplicated files which have similar names or similar name, type and size.
And if you then will delete them, you doing themselves for yourself pretty much evil.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have CCleaner installed, it also has a File Finder.
https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/finding-duplicate-files

upload_2014-2-18_19-42-14.png

Upvote 0

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Altho it did alot better than Treesize Professional (Payware),it didn't cut it. I'm trying to find something better right now.

I think, that surely you're do not think of that freeware don't cost anything at all? Or how?
I've heard, that free lunches doesn't exist. The only question is who pays.

Reactions: jerzy601
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Re-birth of this thread. Is it safe to "delete" all duplicate files of every kind ?? :confused:
This is one PC clean up I haven't done yet.

Any Advice on which trustworthy free program works the best for this..., I see a few suggestions above, but noones agreeing with each other. o_O

Maybe Auslogics ? Portable File Finder ? DuplicateCleaner?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Re-birth of this thread. Is it safe to "delete" all duplicate files of every kind ?? :confused:
This is one PC clean up I haven't done yet.

Any Advice on which trustworthy free program works the best for this..., I see a few suggestions above, but noones agreeing with each other. o_O

Maybe Auslogics ? Portable File Finder ? DuplicateCleaner?
I have a lot of music, photos and documents on my HDD (D partition). On C partition only OS, programs and games. So whenever I used some duplicate file finder, I never checked C drive to be scanned. It's too risky that you may delete something that some program needs.
With Auslogics I never had problem.

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
No matter which program you use, don't just delete everything blindly. Take time to identify everything, and only delete what you are sure to be a useless copy.

Yeah.

The one scan I did, I chickened out as it said it found 1GB of duplicate files. I wasn't sure if it was safe to delete all these.... I wasn't 100% what I was looking at, which brought me to the question if these programs are safe to use.

Has it ever deleted improtant files, or are they infact, just deleting a copy only?

Upvote 0

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Deleting duplicate files can be a good idea, but it won't save you all the time. It is mostly useful when you may have gotten the same file twice, especially music, movies, photos, and large files in general. They should comprise a list of a few duplicates that are really using some unneeded space.

But duplicate cleaners look for files in an entire disk unless you specify otherwise. They will probably not know the difference between a temporary folder you created and the actual folder you use for your files. If you have your duplicate cleaner simply delete every duplicate leaving the "originals", you may be left with the file you want being left only in the folder you don't want.

Other files may be present in more than one program folder, and be equally necessary in all of them. That's why some cleaners, including my suggestion in an above post, excludes Windows and programs folders by default (which does not include program folders you created like C:\Games or C:\My Programs).

If you really need more space, and especially if 1GB will make such a difference for you, it may be better to simply copy some big rarely used files like music and movies, etc, into an external media.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Is there any programs which automatically detects and deletes such called Duplicate Files ?
Because manual detection and deletion would be pain for many inexperienced users.;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.