Guide | How To ESET Smart Security for Max Protection

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Honestly it depends vastly upon each system configuration, what processes are ran, etc...

EIS has an impact on boot-time and during updates mostly, the rest of the time it sit around 20-40mb RAM and it is quite light (lighter than KIS on my system)

for ESS, if you allow the "...exception based on certificates" option; your issue may disappear.

Thanks.
I just removed ESS and installed OAP . Till now it works great.
Question is: do you know any free firewall same quality (or nearly same) of OAP ? Perhaps Comodo or ZoneAlarm ?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Only Comodo, OAP and Comodo always "fight" for the title. The other firewalls are a step below.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Only Comodo, OAP and Comodo always "fight" for the title. The other firewalls are a step below.
Thanks.
Not sure I understood: OAP free has got antiphishing, web shield and registry shield or not - right now I'm on trial - ?
OAP free vs Comodo firewall free : which one is the most complete on features ?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
havok said:
Not sure I understood: OAP free has got antiphishing, web shield and registry shield or not - right now I'm on trial - ?

Just click to "standard mode" then compare ;)

Comodo v6 has some more feature (full sandbox, Kiosk, etc...) but they are mostly equal.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
havok said:

Just click to "standard mode" then compare ;)

Comodo v6 has some more feature (full sandbox, Kiosk, etc...) but they are mostly equal.

Oh so standard mode is equal free edition...
Well it looks like web shield is working on free as well - so I think antipishing...or not ?
Registry and file shield only with premium...are these features included in Comodo free - like sandboxie - ?
However I guess files and registry items access is denied to malicious software from EAM BB..or not ?
I would like to keep using OAP free just because I guess it ensure max compatibility with EAM. Any suggestion ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Remember Comodo has more features, that aren't necessarily needed to make a Firewall.

havok said:
OAP free vs Comodo firewall free : which one is the most complete on features?

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Earth said:
Remember Comodo has more features, that aren't necessarily needed to make a Firewall.

havok said:
OAP free vs Comodo firewall free : which one is the most complete on features?

Ya I know . What I mostly care is antiphising, and I still not understood if OAP Free has got it...though I think so - should be Web Shield, but not sure

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Comparison of OA Version Type

Unfortunately Web Shield and Anti Phishing protection are not included in that version.

Ya I know that but not sure...even with free edition web shield is on - working - ...I really have to check that. However if there is no antiphishing I'll switch to Comodo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anti-Phishing is provided by your web browser or extensions. Google Safe Browsing and WOT are both excellent in providing protection against shady websites.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
havok said:
Ya I know that but not sure...even with free edition web shield is on - working - ...I really have to check that. However if there is no antiphishing I'll switch to Comodo

web filter description: http://www.online-armor.com/web_filter.html

check my reviews for detailed comparison:

OA free : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Online-Armor-Free-v6

OAP: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Online-Armor-Premium-v6

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Maybe a small warning that this guide will have a negative impact on low-end and older hardware?

Also note that using any security software at other than default settings is not supported or recommend by any software vendor because it will create many false alerts, can cause system stability problems or make the protection features less effective at identifying real malware.

From my experience, setting security software at max or aggressive settings does not provide any better protection and will have an over-all negative impact. So I never recommend it to basic users, it is only good to use in a testing environment not everyday use.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Earth said:
Maybe a small warning that this guide will have a negative impact on low-end and older hardware?

added:

Warning:

- This setting may have a negative impact on resources usage and responsiveness for low-end machines.
- This setting will generate more alerts than default setting and may hamper your browsing experience.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
havok said:

web filter description: http://www.online-armor.com/web_filter.html

check my reviews for detailed comparison:

OA free : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Online-Armor-Free-v6

OAP: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Online-Armor-Premium-v6

I see...so there is no antiphishing in OA Free. However I'm using WOT both on Pale Moon and Comodo Dragon
BTW Did you make a similar review for Comodo firewall ? Just curious..

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello!! Umbra, If I set firewall filtering mode to "Interactive mode" (as you say in the guide) ESET will ask for action about every connection etc until I create my own rules right? I installed ESS 6 as a trial to see how it goes..

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Nikos751 said:
Hello!! Umbra, If I set firewall filtering mode to "Interactive mode" (as you say in the guide) ESET will ask for action about every connection etc until I create my own rules right? I installed ESS 6 as a trial to see how it goes..

yes

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Sir, is it advisable to run Malwarebyte antimalware pro along with Eset nod 32 smart security version 6 simultaneously in windows 7 ultimate without any degradation in system performance?

Or run only one program say Eset smart security6 and uninstall Malwarebyte antimalware pro and run it when necessary?

And last question, can these AV programs run smoothly without interfering each other and not slowing down the system performance like start up or shut down delay or any other windows performance...........? I mean is it possible in any way?
Why am I asking this?
Because few days back I installed Malwarebyte antimalware pro with Eset nod 32 smart security version 6(previously installed) in my system and now I uninstalled it 'cos the windows stuck in welcome screen position for long time, which generally takes 30/31 sec. to show the main windows. Now I think the culprit is MB.
P.S- I 've tried adding the malwarebytes files to the exclude files within nod32 and vice versa,

Any tips/advice will highly be appreciated,
thanks,
sid_16.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Hello umbra! I digged that thread while setting up ess 7 for my laptop. Do you suggest anything different than what you say here for v6? Also, I set the firewall to learning mode for a few days and after those I 'll set it to interactive so not to annoy me with already installed apps. Is there any problem with that?
Update: Utorrent seems that it cannot download files! Whats going on?
Thank you.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.