Guide | How To ESET Smart Security for Max Protection

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Sir, is it advisable to run Malwarebyte antimalware pro along with Eset nod 32 smart security version 6 simultaneously in windows 7 ultimate without any degradation in system performance?

you will have some slowdown or not depending your machine since you have 2 running real-time module

Or run only one program say Eset smart security6 and uninstall Malwarebyte antimalware pro and run it when necessary?

it will be better if you feel slowdowns
And last question, can these AV programs run smoothly without interfering each other and not slowing down the system performance like start up or shut down delay or any other windows performance...........? I mean is it possible in any way?
Why am I asking this?
Because few days back I installed Malwarebyte antimalware pro with Eset nod 32 smart security version 6(previously installed) in my system and now I uninstalled it 'cos the windows stuck in welcome screen position for long time, which generally takes 30/31 sec. to show the main windows. Now I think the culprit is MB.
P.S- I 've tried adding the malwarebytes files to the exclude files within nod32 and vice versa,

now you have your answer to the above questions ;) remove MBAM and you will see.

Hello umbra! I digged that thread while setting up ess 7 for my laptop. Do you suggest anything different than what you say here for v6? Also, I set the firewall to learning mode for a few days and after those I 'll set it to interactive so not to annoy me with already installed apps. Is there any problem with that?

basically they are the same. so no.

Update: Utorrent seems that it cannot download files! Whats going on?

untick/set somefirewall options to default then see what happening

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Oh ! it almost took 8 months to see a reply from the great Mr Umbra. Just kidding , no offense.

The older Malwarebyte pro was incompatible with Eset ss 6 but the new version is working great with Eset ss 7.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Nice config,

Resurrecting the topic I have doubt, with this configuration, alerts are constant mostly firewall ( mode interactive) and as I am not always on the computer you can not be allowing any request furthermore kids that move on the computer so I would like that were not warnings, I believe that putting the firewall in learning mode and then switches it to be interactive this option?

I thank anyone who can help.

sorry my english.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Nice config,

Resurrecting the topic I have doubt, with this configuration, alerts are constant mostly firewall ( mode interactive) and as I am not always on the computer you can not be allowing any request furthermore kids that move on the computer so I would like that were not warnings, I believe that putting the firewall in learning mode and then switches it to be interactive this option?

I thank anyone who can help.

sorry my english.

put FW in learning , launch all your internet connecting softwares (then allow the outbound connections), finally put back to interactive

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
put FW in learning , launch all your internet connecting softwares (then allow the outbound connections), finally put back to interactive

The problem after installing the program and put in interactive mode is that there are many processes and windows you are not sure who is allowing or blocking. Anyway thanks.

zakazak

Dec 2, 2014
THanks for your guide, it helped me change a few settings that I haven't changed my self yet.
How ever, I use FW with interactive mode and wonder what rules I should create for system files?

E.g. I added a rule to allow svchost.exe to connect to the windows update servers via port 80 and 443 (or else windows update wont work). For chrome I allowed DNS,HTTP and HTTPS ports. What about rundll32.exe, spoolsv.exe, dashost.exe,... ? Do u have a guide for that?

Thanks

zakazak

Dec 2, 2014
2- NETWORK (under testing)

A- Personal Firewall

i found ESET Firewall quite good especially with its IDS feature, that block malwares at the network level), Set it to "Interactive"

Rule and Zone

i let it as default, you may change some rules later depending your system.

IDS and Advanced Options

my favorite firewall feature

Code:
The IDS and advanced options section allows you to configure advanced filtering options to detect several types of attacks that can be carried out against your computer.

hL5hAkM.jpg

HKKsjKb.jpg

Application modification detection

vKsYekl.jpg

System Integration

Nothing to change

B- Connection View

Tick all

E.g. for those files:

Windows update rule for svchost.exe (I guess port 80 & 443 and maybe restrict it to microsoft update servers only)
Host Process for Setting Synchronization (SettingSyncHost.exe)
User Account Control Panel Host (UserAccountBroker.exe)
Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
Windows Host Process (rundll32.exe)
Store Broker (WSHost.exe)
Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process (WUDFHost.exe)
Device Association Framework Provider Host (dasHost.exe)
Host Process for Windows Tasks (taskhost.exe)

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Is this version of the Tutorial up to date for ESS8?

Also as far as Resource usage, it is definitely lighter than KIS so far.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
not for ESS8 but still informative since some setting haven't changed.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Umbra Polaris
Hello bro. Thank you so much for this great post ;)
Is there any update you could add it to the current settings on the first page? since these settings are a little bit old and they might not work well for ESS 8. You are our life saver and genious in Security. That's why I am asking you pls. Anyway, thank you for your great effort :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
What's your current security suite? Not ESET Smart Security 8?

no, its a tighten combo , Symantec Endpoint Protection (for the advanced corporate FW, AV and BB) + Appguard set on lockdown mode (for blocking anything that "may" bypass SEP.

check the spoiler on my signature ;)

Reactions: Rebsat and Maxxx58

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.