[How-To] Share a Partition Between Windows and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi,

As you know, Linux allows you to mount a Windows partitions and see/retrieves files from it. the opposite is not true, Windows can't give you access to a Linux partition.

so for Dual-boot users, it is problematic to have 2 data partitions and have to copy the files to the other data partition.

so there how to share the same partition between them:

CASE 1 :
The NTFS Partition (aka Windows data partition) is already present, follow the steps below:

1- Run the following command to find the correct UUID number for the existing ntfs partition.

Code:
sudo blkid -c /dev/null

in my case:

h59QmWF.png

my Windows Data partition (where all my windows files are) is sda6

2- Create a mount point for the existing partition to live in.

it means , create a folder where the Windows partition will be linked , indeed Linux works via Directories

Code:
sudo mkdir /home/your username/name of the folder

"your username" and "name of the folder "will be replaced by your username made when you installed Linux and the name of the folder you will use for linking the Windows partition.

on my case : /home/umbra/Data

3- Then add a line to the end of "fstab" file

this file must be open with your text editor as administrator , it is located in:

Computer/File System/etc/fstab

Code:
UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /home/your username/name of the folder ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

Changing "DA9056C19056A3B3" by the UUID value of your Windows data partition from step [1].

in my case it was:

Code:
UUID=48621A3D621A3064/home/umbra/Data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0

4- If you currently have the partition mounted unmount it.

5- Then run the following comand to mount the partition with the new mount point:

Code:
sudo mount -a

its done the result will look like this:

W5MK4L6.png

in the screenshot the Data window shows my Files when i used Win8 :D

now you can use this shared partition to save/exchange datas

Note
: Thanks to Altair4 & WinterTroubles from the Linux Mint Forum for their precious help.

CASE 2
you use only Linux and want a Data partition; follow the tutorial below:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1609

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.