How to stop Windows 10 installing automatic updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
One of the more controversial features of Windows 10 is the automatic, mandatory installation of updates. With launch day now just hours away a problem with NVidia drivers has highlighted just why automatic updates have proved so controversial.

Microsoft has previously said that home users will have no choice but to let Windows 10 take care of updates for them. For those concerned about this, the company has a special tool that can be used to block specific updates to Windows and drivers.

Unearthed by ZDNet’s Ed Bott, KB3073930 is the tool that many people feel should have been built into Windows 10 as standard. It’s not really a tool that Microsoft intended to be used by the majority of people to take control of Windows Updates, it is actually a troubleshooting tool designed for use with the preview builds that have been made available to Windows Insiders. It’s not clear whether the tool will continue to work when Windows 10 officially launches in a couple of days’ time, but it’s certainly an option for now.

The update blocker tool — called the “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter package — can be downloaded from Microsoft’s support pages where the company describes its purpose:

In Windows 10 Insider Preview, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

Using the tool is very simple — you can use check boxes to indicate which updates and drivers you would like Windows 10 to ignore.

Give the update blocker a try for yourself and see what you think.

Reactions: jamescv7

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Now that's interesting however its logic process becomes so rather complicated, if they revert the feature before wayback on XP to 7 Windows Updates implementation then everything is done already.

Reactions: Oxygen

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
AMD decided to move the majority of their HD Mobility Radeon Devices and Drivers to legacy status shortly after I bought the laptop and only work on small specific bugfixes. My PC meets all the other req's. Thanks AMD!

AMD HD Mobility Radeon 4200 Series

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I've been installing updates and restarting every single day, literally. It's getting quite annoying that I am constantly forced to install and restart whether I like it or not. It's good for folks who never do updates but if a nasty update happens to roll out then there is nothing that can be done to prevent it from installing.

I'll have a look at that tool,

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.