How to test applications safely?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi I'm new to this world so i want to learn things, so i have started off, so the first lesson is i want to learn how to test Antivirus applications in a safe way, so if any one could guide me i will do so!

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Virtual environment!! I use Virtual Box.I like the ease with which I can change the MAC address in Virtual Box for other endeavors.

Reactions: Venustus

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
VM workstation and the host system is in shadow mode, courtesy of Shadowdefender. I use VM workstation so I can create a few snapshots of certain AV's I'm testing.

D

Deleted member 178

more seriously, im using Shadow Defender + VirtualBox

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Any one can tell me the correct steps of doing so? with an example?

D

Deleted member 178

Check the "how to" section, i remember we have a tutorial there

Stubbornest

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2014
Adding to the earlier advice you received from the others about VM's :

Tip to get a free Windows with Internet Explorer browser ready-to-go instantly.
This Microsoft site has virtual machines with many versions of Windows and Internet Explorer pre-installed.
Download and run.

I use this for testing my websites on Internet Explorer and Windows versions I do not have installed.

http://www.modern.ie/en-us
Choose the link "Download VMs for Mac, Linux or Windows".
Then click one of the 2 links named "Get free VMs" right below the section titled Download a Virtual Machine. For Mac, Linux, or Windows.
(The other 2sections "Test across browsers in a few click" and "Get a free 14 day trial of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac." are not relevant and will eventually cost you money.)
Select a host OS from the dropdown on the left. (I chose Windows.)

After that select a virtualizer for the guest from the dropdown on the right to see beautiful things appear.

EDIT: The VM's require activation with Microsoft. And the Windows versions marked Preview have an expiry date. The others don't. But the Win8 preview versions seem to be gone.
If you get stuck, there is a link to a blog (on the same page) with detailed step-by-step instructions named "Try Rey Bango's blog".

Cheers.

EDIT2: I missed the following post. If external instructions are not allowed, please remove my post.
Check the "how to" section, i remember we have a tutorial there

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.