Guide | How To How to use PSR in W7&W8

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Here is another great tool that Micro$$ft hides and not many users know about. It won't work on MT because the forum doesn't allow Zip files. It works great if your trying to teach your mom how to use a program and you can't run over and show her. You just use PSR and email her a Zip file.

PSR is a tool available in W8 and W7that helps you document an issue with your computer so someone else can help you troubleshoot it and figure out what's wrong.

With Steps Recorder, formerly called Problem Steps Recorder or PSR, a recording is made of the actions you take on your computer which you can then send to the person or group helping you with your problem.

Making a recording with Steps Recorder is extremely easy to do which is a big reason it's such a valuable tool.
Here's Micro$$ft Link explaining how to use this valuable tool. I could explain it, but I'll let Bill Gates do it:)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-use-problem-steps-recorder
I would love to attach Zip files that I have made to show how to do some things, but I understand why the forum doesn't allow them as they can be a security factor:(

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi here's how to reset the files in WordPad. These are files that you no longer have but still show up in Wordpad, and you just want to get rid of them. I added it here in stead of making another thread.;) I hate it when I open Wordpad and the files show up, but they are no longer there.:mad:

To Delete Specific "Recent documents" in WordPad
1. In the Start Menu, type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
NOTE: Standard users will not be prompted for this.

3. In regedit, navigate to the location below.
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad\Recent File List

4. In the right pane of Recent File List, look for a listed File# string value that has the recent document path that you wanted to delete. When found, right click on the File# (ex: File1), and click on Delete. (see screenshot above)

5. Click on Yes to approve deleting it.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 if you would like to delete any other "Recent documents" from the list in WordPad.

7. When finished, close regedit.

8. If WordPad is open, then close and reopen it to apply.
Works for me;) PS always make a restore point before messing around in the registry. I use ERUNTgui to back up my register>

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Here's a zip I made with PSR and then used Faststone Capure so I could load it here! Large Zips won't work. OK I'm done causing trouble for today.:)

Attachments

• ScreenShot00039.jpg
    ScreenShot00039.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 418
Reactions: kiric96

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi New up date on reliability Monitor!! Very sorry I bothered you about this W7& W8 tool.
I still think it's a great tool! I'll be back to a 10 real soon! You can lead a horse to the water. but you can't make him drink.;)
Capture48.JPG

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Here's another great tool that you can use along with the Reliability Monitor. There is a lot of information about what's going on in your PC here! You can Google Resource Monitor and find out a lot more about this tool!
Type resmon in search orb!

If you’re having trouble with a program taking over your computer, slowing things down, or even locking things up, you can use the Reliability Data available in the Windows 7 Resource Monitor to see what’s happening inside the computer. The Resource Monitor knows all, sees all, and tells all (with graphs and statistics galore).
  1. To see which programs are hogging the CPU, click the Average CPU column heading.

That column presents a 60-second running average of CPU utilization. The hogs float to the top.

If a program has stopped responding, right-click it here and choose Analyze Process. You may be able to glean some worthwhile information that helps you whack the program upside the head.

2. Click the Memory tab to see how your computer’s memory is being used.

The bar graph at the bottom of the figure may surprise you. For example, if you have 4GB installed on a 32-bit Windows 7 system, a sizable chunk of memory isn’t accessible.

In general, if Windows reports many page faults (the graph marked Hard Faults/sec), you may be able to increase your computer’s performance significantly by increasing the amount of memory available.
Capture48.JPG

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
You can right click on any process and search what it is and what it does, which is really pretty neat.
Don't seem to be many MT members interested in these things, but I just keep trying:(:confused::oops:o_O

The Overview section provides a self-updating line graph for each of the four subsections: CPU, Disk, Network, and Memory. In Windows 7, you can also check the box next to a CPU process and see details related to that process alone. If you see a constant high level of unexpected activity in any these graphs, you have a malfunctioning program or malware may be responsible. To troubleshoot, explore the other sections in Resource Monitor.
If you have the time, you can right click on every process running and search for it on the internet to see what it does and if it's needed

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I know you don't care:):):)but it's really amazing what you can learn about a service or process by right clicking on it and then clicking on search when you're using the Resource Monitor. You might even learn why your PC is slow and not responding.
One of my favorite saying is " You can lead a horse to water , but you can't make him drink"
I think that's where this thread is going. I just keep trying:eek::eek: hoping someone here will join me here on MT and help me explain these neat Windows tools that no one is using. It might be a lost cause.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O.
What do you think?? Lost cause or keep trying!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.