Troubleshoot HP Compaq Laptop Generates Continuous Sound In Speaker On Power Up And Shuts Down Automatically

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Same
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
HP Compaq Laptop Generates Continuous Sound In Speaker On Power Up And Shuts Down Automatically.
Could any one know how to fix this laptop?

Alzie

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
May 3, 2014
try disconect from mains take battery out for ten minutes this stopped an intermitant bleep i was getting on my lap top

Upvote 0

Soorya

Level 1
Verified
Mar 3, 2015
Right click Volume icon on the Task Bar, Volume Control Options , click Sound.

Uncheck Play Windows Start-up Sound.

Also , uncheck exit windows.

See what happens after it.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
try disconect from mains take battery out for ten minutes this stopped an intermitant bleep i was getting on my lap top
Can u please specify properly. I couldn't understand ur sentences.

Right click Volume icon on the Task Bar, Volume Control Options , click Sound.

Uncheck Play Windows Start-up Sound.

Also , uncheck exit windows.

See what happens after it.
Its not the sound of windows logon. Its not even the beep kind sound. Its like a radio channel without frequency set. It starts as soon as the bios starts loading.

Upvote 0

Soorya

Level 1
Verified
Mar 3, 2015
ok. if you say its not the sound of windows logon, then definitely the sound is from Motherboard. As you it starts as soon as the bios starts loading.

It is normal for the computer to make one or two short beeps during the startup process. However, if the computer beeps and Windows does not start properly, a more serious hardware problem exists. The most common problems that cause beeping sounds are:

Memory and heat-related failures caused by a build-up of dust in critical cooling areas
A keyboard key is stuck
A memory DIMM or hard drive cable is not seated properly
A component on the motherboard has failed
A basic computer function was unable to start

Listen to the beeping sound and write down the number of beeps before each pause, if the beeps are long or short, or if the beeps high or low in tone. Once a pattern is determined, use the following beep code table to identify which component might be causing the problem:
The following codes can vary depending on BIOS version.
Beeps

Description
1 short beep and 1 long beep

Memory problem
2 short beeps and 1 long beep (repeats 5 times)

Unable to initialize video or video card required but not installed
3 short beeps and 1 long beep

CPU configuration error or CPU type is not compatible
The following beep codes can occur while restoring, flashing or updating the BIOS:
Beeps

Description
1 short beep

Legacy floppy drive or CD/DVD drive not detected
2 short beeps

Floppy diskette or compact disc not detected
3 short beeps

Unable to start flashing (such as when missing a utility or BIOS image)
4 short beeps

Flashing failed (checksum error, corrupted image, etc.)
5 short beeps

BIOS recovery successful

---------------------------------------
Perform the following steps to resolve beeping issues. Before starting a task, turn off the computer, and then remove the power cord. After completing a task, replace any covers, reconnect the power cord, turn on the computer, and then listen for a beep code.

Remove any media from the floppy drives, CD/DVD drives, USB ports, and memory card reader slots, and disconnect all non-essential devices (printers, scanners, external hard drives, and similar).
Disconnect the mouse and keyboard, and then restart the computer. If the beeping sound stops, repair or replace those devices.
Hot air can damage internal components! Remove any obstructions that block vents. Clean the cooling vents on the case to remove dust. If cooling fans stop spinning or make strange noises, service the computer.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Is it like static white noise?

Have you tried a hard reset?

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.
Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds. Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and see if the notebook will start.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@Soorya its not the beep sounds.
@exterminator20, yes its almost similar to static white noise. I tried hard reset before only, but I think its a major hardware Issue. I just took to a service engineer, he told its the Nvidia chip problem, so the entire Mother board have to be replaced!

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@Soorya its not the beep sounds.
@exterminator20, yes its almost similar to static white noise. I tried hard reset before only, but I think its a major hardware Issue. I just took to a service engineer, he told its the Nvidia chip problem, so the entire Mother board have to be replaced!
:( bad news.....depending on how old it is might be better investing in a new one

Upvote 0

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
HP Compaq Laptop Generates Continuous Sound In Speaker On Power Up And Shuts Down Automatically.
Could any one know how to fix this laptop?

I read through your config but didn't see the model. Is this one of the HP Pavilion Notebooks purchased around the time of 2008-2010?

Mine did not have the Nvidea Card, but an Intel Graphics card. It kept shutting down as well. I finally figured out the root cause was overheating.
-I took off the bottom panel, and the originally black plastic was now orange/red from it being warped by the heat.

The replacement parts and labor costs to fix a laptop like this aren't worth it. If you purchase a new notebook, I would recommend another brand. And if you are into graphics, try to find one with good ventilation especially around the CPU and GPU.

-Compact is not always the best, it needs some room to breathe inside to avoid overheating.

Good luck man.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I read through your config but didn't see the model. Is this one of the HP Pavilion Notebooks purchased around the time of 2008-2010?
This one is my cousins PC, I believe the age is pretty old. Hmm i don't matter about it now, since now i'm setting it for an auction.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.