https://softwareupdaterlp.com banner; Safari Frozen

rickhs

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
Any further tips of how to rid the malware? Firefox runs fine. I run OS 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Rick,
What extensions do you have installed in Safari?
This is how you can see the extensions in Safari:
  1. From the Safari menu, select “Preferences“.
    Safari-Mac-Os-X-Preferences.gif

In the Safari Preferences window, click the “Extensions” tab. Find any unknown extension, then click on the “Uninstall” button. This infection can add more than one extension, it is recommended that you remove all unknown extensions from Safari.
    remove-extension-safari.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

rickhs

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
I cannot get to "Preferences" in Safari as it is greyed out when I try to open Safari.Even after I quit Safari & do a restart of the machine, I get the same thing upon reopening Safari.

Geos

Jan 30, 2015
Any further tips of how to rid the malware? Firefox runs fine. I run OS 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro.
All I was able to do is click OK button on the first hxxps://softwareupdaterlp.com page that came up, then immediately close the tab. I do not believe any malware had been put on my computer (a Mac Book Pro). If I did not click the first OK, I could not get to "Preferences" in Safari as it is greyed out when I try to open Safari.Even after I quit Safari & do a restart of the machine, I get the same thing upon reopening Safari.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric M

Feb 4, 2015
You need to first launch Safari while holding down the Shift key. Then, you'll be able to get to Prefs. Just fixed it myself using this.

Reactions: Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.